• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung S5 lost Play Store

simonbrew

Lurker
Dec 26, 2010
In the last two weeks I have lost access to Play Store, so I can't install any new apps. Play store has disappeared from list of installed apps, but Play Store v6.0.5 is visible in Settings/Application manager; only functions available are uninstall updates, Force Stop & Disable.
How do I get access to it again? It's obviously there, but hidden.
Android v 5.0 model SM-G900F

It sounds like you've removed it from your desktop (if you kept it there) and app drawer. Both desktops and app drawer are provided by the launcher app, so it's not that the Play Store is removed but the launcher isn't showing it. Most third party launchers allow you to hide apps, so if you are using one of those check its settings (especially its app drawer settings) to see if it's been hidden. I don't know whether the Samsung "Touchwiz" launcher allows this, but I'd check there as well if you are using that.

If not you could try uninstalling updates to the Play Store. The most recent update will reinstall before too long, but it's possible that doing that will jolt it back into visibility. Or see whether you can place a shortcut on the home screen (but if it's been hidden from the launcher you probably won't be offered that).

Reactions: simonbrew
Upvote 0
Building on what Hadron has started, I would also like to mention that if you do use a custom launcher a-la Touchwiz or Nova, you can always try to disable it temporarily to see if you can regain access to it with the stock launcher. Also, while I don't have too much experience with the program considering I'm mostly an LG user, you can always try to connect it to your computer and attempt to verify the existence of the Play Store app via Kies. If worse comes to worse, you can use Kies to backup your device and restore it to factory settings.

Upvote 0
Actually Touchwiz is the stock launcher on a Galaxy S5. But you are right that if it's hidden in one launcher it should be visible in another, so you could switch launchers (if more than one installed) or install one temporarily to confirm that it's a launcher problem.

There's no need to disable a launcher to switch: select it in the app manager and "clear defaults", then when you press the home key it will ask you which launcher you wish to use.

Upvote 0
Thank you for all your replies.
1) I didn't knowingly install or uninstall any launchers or move Play Store to/from any drawers (not sure what that means); I just used the standard setup.
2) I tried uninstalling Play Store updates, but to no effect, even after restarting the phone.
3) I can't find Touchwiz or Nova listed as apps

I have now reset the phone to factory settings, and I'm delighted to report that Play Store has re-appeared, so after HOURS of updates, I'm back to where I was... I just wish I knew what I did to lose sight of it in the first place.
Thanks again..

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
Sorry you had to resort to a reset - was hoping to avoid that.

TouchWiz (or more fully TouchWiz Home) is the stock launcher, and doesn't show in the App Drawer. If you've not installed another launcher yourself it's what you were using. Nova is a third party launcher you can install from the Play Store, so would only be in your app drawer if you had installed it.

As for what the app drawer is, it's the screen or screens full of app icons you get by touching the grid icon in the dock of your homescreen (probably bottom right corner if you have a standard Samsung setup - most others put it in the centre of the dock).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones