1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Samsung S6 & J3 encryption problem

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JG410008, Jun 20, 2017.

1. JG410008

JG410008 Lurker

Hello forum,
    I work in an enterprise support role and have been issuing J3 & S6 (lollipop) to users for 6 months now with very little trouble.

As it is an enterprise environment our smartphones must be encrypted. We use in tune company portal and outlook mail apps.

Recently, users have seen a prompt to upgrade android version to 6.0.1 marshmallow and taken it upon themselves to do so. Once upgraded, they are then unable to access outlook email as their handset fails compliance due to it having been automatically decrypted as part of android upgrade process.

Surprisingly, a minority of handsets have corrected themselves within 48 hours. However, on inspection there is no longer an option within the android system menus to encrypt/decrypt the device that I can see. Certainly not under the same menu as lollipop was.

Are you able to shed any light on this situation, please?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

JG

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. James L

James L Android Expert

Go to settings, lock screen & security, tap other security settings and encrypt device should show.

3. JG410008

JG410008 Lurker

Thanks for the reply, James. That is where the option was originally when the handset was taken from the box.

Following the upgrade to marshmallow, it is no longer there. Attempted to search within settings for encryption but no results returned. Had seen a suggestion to check under phone storage options but not there either.

I ran factory reset on one of the affected handsets. Reset ok, showing marshmallow installed and encrypt option is visible again under settings, lock screen & security, tap other security settings and encrypt device.

We have approx 300 of these handsets in our estate, I dont fancy doing that many factory resets! Its a bit of a headache as no way to stop users installing android upgrade, and for best practice they should be running latest android version

I think we will need to install upgrade before configuring and issuing the devices to our users. The joys!

4. Angelika

Angelika Lurker

We just started using Intune and Outlook as well and I've got a Samsung J3. I just transferred all of the content from my old phone to this one so it's a real pain to have to do a factory reset in order to encrypt my phone. Any better solution yet?

Samsung Galaxy J3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy J3 release date was June 2018. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 7570 Quad processor, and 2600mAh battery.

June 2018
Release Date
Reviews