1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Samsung S7 Processor.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BandOfBrothers, Mar 19, 2016.

1. BandOfBrothers

BandOfBrothers Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 19, 2016
    Male

Advertisement

2. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Android Expert

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    From every review that I have read, in day to day use you will not see any difference. The highly technical reviews indicate slight differences in their operating speed, battery consumption and temperature. The greater difference the typical user might see could lie with the 2 different camera sensors with the Sony version having an edge over the Samsung.Just one ignorant fools opinion.

bcrichster and BandOfBrothers like this.
  3. bIOforger

bIOforger Android Expert

Jun 19, 2014
    Male
    In the benchies i've seen the Exynos 8890 is faster than the Snapdragon 820 in multicore situations and slightly slower in single core operations. So you could argue that US users are getting a raw deal (if you're a gamer) depends on what you are doing with the phone. The difference is negligible either way to the human eye and you only see these differences noted in benchmarks.

4. BandOfBrothers

None

Mar 19, 2016
    Male
    I'm not a gamer so would be using it heavily for Internet use ~ oh and the odd call and text too. ;)

The informative parts about temperature and speed caught my eye.

5. bIOforger

bIOforger Android Expert

Jun 19, 2014
    Male
    Yep i don't care either way to be honest, all i know is it's massively faster than my old S5 and quite a bit quicker than the S6 edge that i had for a short time.

6. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    I think that the differences between those S7 processors is completely dependent on your specific use of your phone. Everybody has different needs and expectations so if you're a more demanding mobile device type you'll see an advantage (and really, it's a human trait to fool ourselves into perceiving some things are just 'better'), but for most consumers it's mostly irrelevant. As far as day to day usage one doesn't have significance over the other, you'd have to have both at the same time to do a side by side comparison.

7. BandOfBrothers

None

Mar 19, 2016
    Male
    That sounds like good sense to me

As I'm potentially coming from using an iPhone 6 Plus I would like to see the S7 Edge out perform it.

Must say that even though I'm a new member here on Day 1 the forum is easy to use and navigate with really good advice in my thread and indeed in others I've been reading up on too.

8. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    I'd suggest not comparing iPhone and Android phone hardware numbers too closely. Each has a different development background. Apple has really tight control over the components that are used for its phones, along with how they're manufactured. Also, iOS itself is customized and optimized to run specifically on Apple's hardware. Android on the other hand is a more universal environment. The Android operating system is developed to run on a much, much wider range of hardware, phones with different specifications, different build qualities, and for different market segments. So an iPhone can have slightly lower spec numbers in a direct, one-to-one comparison to a specific Android phone but it's just not a realistic comparison. An iPhone functionally runs more efficiently but it's a relatively closed environment, an advantage for Android phones being it exists in a much more expansive, open ecosystem.

BandOfBrothers, Snakeyeskm and KOLIO like this.
  9. BandOfBrothers

None

Mar 19, 2016
    Male
    Interesting piece via the Forbes link. Thank you. :)

Seems for my user requirements the difference between them wouldn't indeed be noticeable.

As I mentioned I'm not a gamer. The casual use of a game to pass some time is as far as I get.

The difference in quick charge isn't a deal breaker either.

10. Bodycount

Bodycount Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    Male
    Columbus, OH
    "The major new feature with 3.0 is INOV (Intelligent Negotiation for Optimum Voltage), which allows for a fined tuned power output and a more optimized charging cycle. Firstly, different batteries require different charging voltages. Version 2.0 supported four modes at varying power levels, 5 volts/2amps, 9V/2A, 12V/1.67A, and a 20 volt option. Quick Charge 3.0’s INOV communicates with the device to request any voltage between 3.2V and 20V at 200mV increments, allowing for a wider selection of voltages."

Selecting the correct voltage would help increase battery life. Something I would want in a phone that I can't replace the battery. If the battery gets too hot, QC 3.0 would sense that and lower the voltage in order to save the battery. QC 2.0 won't lower the voltage thus reducing the life of the battery.

BandOfBrothers likes this.
  11. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Give articles like that Forbes one some careful critical thought. While it does have a lot of benchmark data, the summations are primarily centered on just hardware. The issue being that any flagship model is going to have pretty impressive specs anyway, a much more important matter is day to day usage by average users. I think this Arstechnica review is more comprehensive in that it covers a wider scope:
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/03/samsung-galaxy-s7-and-s7-edge-review-the-galaxy-s6-2-0/

(Really I just rag on Forbes in general. Under a deceptive pretense of ad-blockers, their site blocks access to those who have ad-blocking enabled. For my own reasons I don't have any ad-blockers in my browsers but I do have filtering in place to monitor third-party, tracking cookies. Forbes won't let me view their site unless I disable those filters -- both NoScript and PrivacyBadger need to be disabled or deprecated. So for anyone who cares, Forbes does install tracking cookies into your browser while lying about their intentions.)

BandOfBrothers and KOLIO like this.
  12. BandOfBrothers

None

Mar 19, 2016
    Male
    Duly noted about Forbes and did notice it wouldn't load with my content blocker on my iPad.

The link was very informative so thank you for that.

13. KupKrazy

KupKrazy Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 26, 2010
    Male
    The Big Apple
    I've stopped visiting any articles from Forbes for that reason. They used to force you to move your mouse to the upper right to get past that first page but as you have said, they just block you now if you're using an ad-blocker.

Also, I personally think too much of a think is made about the different processors in the phones. Every time Samsung does this, it always ends up being a competition of one vs the other with all these benchmarks and for the vast majority of people I am willing to bet that they would never be able to tell any discernible difference.

14. BandOfBrothers

None

Mar 19, 2016
    Male
    When I'm looking to invest in something especially if it's costing over £600 I like to do some homework to make an informed decision.

This is where forums like these and YouTube , reviews and hand on come into play.

I agree that specs can be interpreted differently and for the most part a person does not become too concerned unless searching for a resolution to an issue.

15. Khayman999

Khayman999 Newbie
    None

Mar 26, 2016
    Male
    Italy
    I don't think the SD820 is faster the Exynos 8890 in fact, I think it's the other way around. Screenshot_20160328-192942.png Screenshot_20160328-193220.png
    Sorry about the 2 screenshots but Antutu wouldn't allow me to see all my results simultaneously.
    Obviously, mine is the one on the left with the Exynos and the one on the right has the Snap Dragon. CPU-wise, I believe mine to be superior but the difference in real time usage is absolutely negligible. The big difference, at least in my experience, is on the 3D, meaning that the Adreno 530 GPU performs noticeably better than the Mali T880-MP12.
    I'd like to learn about other users' experience on the matter.
    Thanks.

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.