1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Samsung S8 Green Screen Flickering Issue

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Batzy, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Batzy

Batzy Lurker

i was watching youtube on my Samsung S8 last night while charging with huawei powerbank.i didnt realize my phone was heating up to the point my screen started flickering .The Screen went full green static i couldnt use it.i thought restarting the phone would fix it but no shit.i did a factory reset too.Please help me i didnt drop my phone nor did i shatter the screen.there's no scratch or crack on the screen.Please tell me i dont have to replace my screen.

i've attached a video.

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

I'm thinking your display is shot.

Batzy likes this.
  3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

The good news is I don't think it's the screen. I think you might have fried some of the circuitry in the GPU, meaning that you need a new motherboard. :(

Batzy likes this.
  4. svim

svim Extreme Android User

I'm tentatively assuming your display is still OK, just going by your posted video, and agree that it would be more likely to be some component, like the GPU, overheated and will probably fail sooner rather than later. But if the display is the problem I wouldn't be too surprised.

Whatever the issue is though, be sure you back up all your saved data while you can still use your phone. How long have you had your S8? Any chance there's still any warranty coverage?

Batzy and lunatic59 like this.
  5. Batzy

Batzy Lurker

thanks for the info , but sadly motherboard costs more than the display :( and its out of warranty .huawei powerbank is shit .Never will i ever use a powerbank for samsung.

6. Batzy

Batzy Lurker

So its either the display or motherboard ? I'm pretty disappointed with samsung , i didnt drop my phone all i did was use a powerbank and my screen/gpu is damaged :(.Yes i did Backup my phone,SideSync App is quite handy .i've had it for year and a half so its Out of warranty :(

7. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

I don't know that I'd blame the powerbank. The phone is supposed to regulate the current it draws, but Samsung doesn't have a good history with that. I'd keep an eye on the phone temperature for a while. If it got hot enough to damage itself, it might not be safe to leave unattended while charging.

8. svim

svim Extreme Android User

I understand this is a really frustrating situation but at this point I don't think you should jump to any conclusions. Could be a fault with the powerbank, or the phone, or even the cable (a short in the wiring or plug). Or there may be some kind of situation that triggered a component to just fail -- i.e. if the phone was sitting on a blanket the whole time that could have resulted in an accumulation of too much built up heat (a blanket being an insulator, not a conductor of heat).

9. AminaLaLoba

AminaLaLoba Lurker

The same green flicker happened with my former S8 as well after 1 year of usage.

I though the S8 would carry me at least for 2 or even 3 years. The phone was also getting extremely hot after 5 to 6 months especially when am on the internet.

It's really a huge disappointment, do any of you know more durable quality smart phones? How about iPhone 10 and 11 ?

Samsung Galaxy S8 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S8 release date was April 2017. Features and Specs include a 5.8" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Exynos 8895 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

April 2017
Release Date
Reviews