1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Samsung SCH-i809 on China Telecom. How to root?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Gazman, May 8, 2012.

1. Gazman

Gazman Newbie
    None

Mar 11, 2011
    Hi

I'm in China and recently bough a Samsung SCH-i809.

Unfortunately I am stuck with China Telecom so was limited to CDMA phones only. However, I thought the extra GSM SIM slot on this would be useful for my UK SIM so went ahead and bought it (annoyingly it doesn't work with my 3UK card but will leave that for now).

I was very annoyed when I discovered they have disabled the ability to add a Google account so can't access the proper market and all Google account requiring apps (Google maps, Gmail, etc.) force close.

Can anyone advise how to root this phone and get Google access back? I can't find much on the web except some site called Unlock Root of Android which lists the phone so this may be an option.

However, I have never rooted anything before an want to be sure I don't trash my phone.

Any advice would be welcome!

Cheers

Advertisement

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Hi, so am I, welcome to the club.

I'm not quite sure what a SCH-i809 is, but various sites seem to indicate it's a CDMA only phone, that's probably just for the Chinese market. That's why it's stuck with China Telecom. Three UK is a GSM network, their SIMs wont work in CDMA only phones. You don't really want to be roaming Three UK in China anyway, not at 1.50 GBP a minute.

Don't know anything about rooting that particular phone you've got. You're probably aware though that Google doesn't have anything to do with Android in China, that's why Android devices sold here don't have anything Google on them.

3. Gazman

Gazman Newbie
    None

Mar 11, 2011
    Thanks! So I guess you know what a pain all this stuff is too!

It states CDMA/GSM and my old (China Mobile) SIM worked in the GSM slot. My 3UK card works in my old (UK) HTC Desire. I just checked the network info and it says it is HSDPA (which I have never heard of before). I think there are variants of GSM which maybe mess things up.

I got stuck with China Telecom because of some package deal with the landline. I wouldn't use my UK SIM for calls but can see if I get a voice mail plus it is handy for accessing the UK Android market.

Yes - Google is pretty limited here. In this case, I think it is more to do with the handset manufacturer. My wife bought a new HTC phone and could add her Google account no problem. With my phone, I can only add RenRen, KaiXin or Exchange accounts. Google seems to have been removed to give RenRen and KaiXin an advantage. I can add Google as an exchange account so can get my email on the native app but maps and the market don't work.

A friend told me there may be small shops where I can get some wizzkids to root it for me.

Will let you know how it goes!

I'll let you