• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung software proximity sensor is driving me nuts

RatherLoopy

Lurker
Apr 24, 2022
My new-ish Samsung a32's software proximity sensor never lights up the display when it should. If I'm on a call and need the keypad, the screen's off. If I finish a call and want to disconnect, the screen's off. I can't imagine why Samsung thought this was good enough to actually release on a handset. Is there a solution for improving the "proximity sensor's" performance?

Galaxy A32 5G
SM-A326U
Android 12

My new-ish Samsung a32's software proximity sensor never lights up the display when it should. If I'm on a call and need the keypad, the screen's off. If I finish a call and want to disconnect, the screen's off. I can't imagine why Samsung thought this was good enough to actually release on a handset. Is there a solution for improving the "proximity sensor's" performance?

Galaxy A32 5G
SM-A326U
Android 12
That can be actually your proximity sensor going bad. Did it happened since you got it? If not, did you put a screen protector or a case that may be blocking it?

I have a phone that was sent for repair (screen cracked) and came back with the same situation as yours (screen goes off completely on a call and can't hang up) and the repair place wants to replace the sensor now. Money wise, not worth it. I just added the call hang up to the power button and gave the phone away. :p

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
That can be actually your proximity sensor going bad. Did it happened since you got it? If not, did you put a screen protector or a case that may be blocking it?

According to Samsung, my a32 5G doesn't have a proximity sensor. The Samsung website lists it as "Sensor,Virtual Proximity Sensing" meaning, I suppose, that the front camera is the "proximity sensor" but even so, you'd think it could figure out when it was and wasn't pressed up against the side of my head. That's an interesting question about the screen protector, though. I do have a glass screen protector on it, and the next time the screen protector breaks, I'll try to remember to check if the virtual proximity sensor works any better without it.

Attachments

• stickouttongue.png
    stickouttongue.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 88
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
According to Samsung, my a32 5G doesn't have a proximity sensor. The Samsung website lists it as "Sensor,Virtual Proximity Sensing" meaning, I suppose, that the front camera is the "proximity sensor" but even so, you'd think it could figure out when it was and wasn't pressed up against the side of my head. That's an interesting question about the screen protector, though. I do have a glass screen protector on it, and the next time the screen protector breaks, I'll try to remember to check if the virtual proximity sensor works any better without it.
Virtual Proximity Sensor (VPS) uses the gyroscope, accelerometer and software to simulate you moving your phone against your ear and then turn off the screen (like in a call), instead of using hardware. Unfortunately, this also works bad with my Samsung S20FE: when I put my phone in my back pocket (even upside down): it will "butt" dial which thanks to locked screen I ended up with a whole bunch of number on the dialer only). But then again, it could be because of the "tap" feature to wake up the phone (or should I say "butt tap"? :)

I don't think the VPS was a great idea, but seems to work great in my Xiaomi Redmi Note 10S rather than in my Samsung S20FE. BTW, I believe it was Xiaomi the first company to incorporate VPS into their phones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones