• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung stays "Tight lipped" about fix/updates.

Infinite-t

Android Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2010
A good friend of mine had a Captivate (he got his opening day) and returned it because of the GPS issue and other issues. He went back to using his old and waiting out a fix. He told me that he emailed Samsung tech support and asked them about the issue and if it was still on track to be released this month. He also asked them about the future of the Captivate as far as OS updates and such. Here is the reply. Yes this really isn't a "groundbreaking development" or anything. Just something I found interesting.

Dear ----------,
Thank you for taking the time to inform us of the many issues concerning your Samsung product.

We are unable to speculate when/if a software revision with this feature might be available due to the fact that this might lead to inaccurate information and confusion.

Thank you again for your comments. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you.
Thank you for your understanding and patience.
Sincerely,
Technical Support
-------------------------

I just wonder what they have to gain from silence?

Well... my only point here is that; if this is a canned response, it seems to have changed from, "We are currently testing software to optimize performance and expent to.have an update available in September" to basically a " no comment" response.

Yea it also could be a simple, everyone says something different..

duly noted.

Upvote 0
Honestly, it's the Samsung way.

My family owns a copier company and we sell Samsung copiers and printers. Whenever there's a new product or update for a product, You usually won't know it's out until it's actually out. If they gave you a date and if their phone side is the same as their copier/printer side, then you can expect lots of pushbacks with that date.

Upvote 0
so you think they will give details to everyone who send a email?
this is not only a canned response is the same response you will get for any other product.
try to do that with any other phone and ask for the date of the next upgrade they will laugh at you. only very few people in the corporations have the information and dates of upgrades.

Upvote 0
So supposedly we'll be getting fixes/Froyo in September. It's the 14th... I say when we get to the month of October without any of the above, then we can go scrutinizing tech support phone calls and emails and play the blame game.

This right here is exactly WHY you don't get an exact date from just about any company. Because then if it slips the internet freaks out and it's more hassle than it's worth.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones