• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung system updates

That's not necessarily true for all smartphones. The release cycle works something like this: Google releases core Android to manufacturers once it's ready. The manufacturers then adapt Android to their models that are still considered new enough and capable enough to be updated. How they determine that, is up to them. Then, if it's a carrier-based device, the manufacturer's rom is released to the carrier so they can modify it to their purposes. The less they do to it, the quicker it goes out to customers ... theoretically.

However, no manufacturer, carrier or even Google themselves release an update to all devices on the same day. They all pick groups of devices and send out an update or a notice according to a schedule. Again, how they determine the groups and the schedule are anybody's guess. Nexus devices will get the updates right from Google so they get them first. DE (Developer Edition) phones should also get updates very quickly as they run more or less pure Android. After that it's really up to the carrier or manufacturer.

It is quite possible that if you are on the end of a cycle with an unlocked device, that the carrier-branded models at the beginning of their cycle will get the update before you, but it's not a universal situation with all Android devices.

Upvote 0
That's not necessarily true for all smartphones. The release cycle works something like this: Google releases core Android to manufacturers once it's ready. The manufacturers then adapt Android to their models that are still considered new enough and capable enough to be updated. How they determine that, is up to them. Then, if it's a carrier-based device, the manufacturer's rom is released to the carrier so they can modify it to their purposes. The less they do to it, the quicker it goes out to customers ... theoretically.

However, no manufacturer, carrier or even Google themselves release an update to all devices on the same day. They all pick groups of devices and send out an update or a notice according to a schedule. Again, how they determine the groups and the schedule are anybody's guess. Nexus devices will get the updates right from Google so they get them first. DE (Developer Edition) phones should also get updates very quickly as they run more or less pure Android. After that it's really up to the carrier or manufacturer.

It is quite possible that if you are on the end of a cycle with an unlocked device, that the carrier-branded models at the beginning of their cycle will get the update before you, but it's not a universal situation with all Android devices.

I am talking about this because in my opinion it is easier for Google send first to unlocked mobiles because there is no changes and in the other hand we have carrier mobiles that make changes and add some apps.

Upvote 0
The only manufacturer I've ever experienced that rolls out updates to carrier branded phones first is Sony.

In most cases, network branded handsets get their updates long after the unbranded, unlocked versions.

Did you buy your handset as unlocked or did you unlock it yourself?

I bought my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge from no carrier, I have an unlocked mobile without carrier as unlocked.

Upvote 0
Except for Nexus and DE phones, Google does not send the updates, the manufacturer or carrier does. Each update is specifically developed for each device so it would be next to impossible for Google to do it.

What you're saying is that Google send updates for example to Samsung and from there Samsung manage their own update to carrier and unlocked mobiles?

Upvote 0
Pretty much, yes.

What you have to understand is that Samsung will take the core Android version and cook in all the Samsung-only stuff. Then, if it's carrier branded, the Samsung update goes to the carrier so they can make their changes, too. Since updates are for phones that they have already sold, there's little incentive for them to be fast to market.

Upvote 0
Pretty much, yes.

What you have to understand is that Samsung will take the core Android version and cook in all the Samsung-only stuff. Then, if it's carrier branded, the Samsung update goes to the carrier so they can make their changes, too. Since updates are for phones that they have already sold, there's little incentive for them to be fast to market.

Ok man. Thank you for your help :D
Have a good day!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones