1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Samsung system updates

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by GodLovesYou, Mar 23, 2016.

1. GodLovesYou

GodLovesYou Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 25, 2016
    Hey hey!

I have a question that I don't know if someone knows about it, but I'll do it anyway.

Do you know why carriers mobiles receive system updates first then then unlocked mobiles?

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    That's not necessarily true for all smartphones. The release cycle works something like this: Google releases core Android to manufacturers once it's ready. The manufacturers then adapt Android to their models that are still considered new enough and capable enough to be updated. How they determine that, is up to them. Then, if it's a carrier-based device, the manufacturer's rom is released to the carrier so they can modify it to their purposes. The less they do to it, the quicker it goes out to customers ... theoretically.

However, no manufacturer, carrier or even Google themselves release an update to all devices on the same day. They all pick groups of devices and send out an update or a notice according to a schedule. Again, how they determine the groups and the schedule are anybody's guess. Nexus devices will get the updates right from Google so they get them first. DE (Developer Edition) phones should also get updates very quickly as they run more or less pure Android. After that it's really up to the carrier or manufacturer.

It is quite possible that if you are on the end of a cycle with an unlocked device, that the carrier-branded models at the beginning of their cycle will get the update before you, but it's not a universal situation with all Android devices.

scary alien and El Presidente like this.
  3. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member
    None

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    The only manufacturer I've ever experienced that rolls out updates to carrier branded phones first is Sony.

In most cases, network branded handsets get their updates long after the unbranded, unlocked versions.

Did you buy your handset as unlocked or did you unlock it yourself?

scary alien and lunatic59 like this.
  4. GodLovesYou

None

Jan 25, 2016
    I am talking about this because in my opinion it is easier for Google send first to unlocked mobiles because there is no changes and in the other hand we have carrier mobiles that make changes and add some apps.

5. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Except for Nexus and DE phones, Google does not send the updates, the manufacturer or carrier does. Each update is specifically developed for each device so it would be next to impossible for Google to do it.

scary alien likes this.
  6. GodLovesYou

None

Jan 25, 2016
    I bought my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge from no carrier, I have an unlocked mobile without carrier as unlocked.

7. GodLovesYou

None

Jan 25, 2016
    What you're saying is that Google send updates for example to Samsung and from there Samsung manage their own update to carrier and unlocked mobiles?

8. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Pretty much, yes.

What you have to understand is that Samsung will take the core Android version and cook in all the Samsung-only stuff. Then, if it's carrier branded, the Samsung update goes to the carrier so they can make their changes, too. Since updates are for phones that they have already sold, there's little incentive for them to be fast to market.

scary alien and El Presidente like this.
  9. GodLovesYou

None

Jan 25, 2016
    Ok man. Thank you for your help :D
    Have a good day!