• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung to fix dying galaxy s3

rrod.jpg

Upvote 0
It would seem to have to be a heat/current issue, since the only practical thing to compromise circuits in a physical nature. Adjustments to these type of chips is usually in steps (not a like an analog potentiometer), so seems the only thing they could do is either turn gates off to silicon not be used in the chip (probably none to turn off), or step down the power, which could mean a slower device. Depending on the array set up for the radios, they can also step those down, but also would be a likely performance decrease.

The red rings of death on the 360 was fixed by shipping with a modded board- not a firmware change. Some capacitor/resistors were too close to the GPU and slowly fried. Well, "popped" could be a better word.

Upvote 0
It would seem to have to be a heat/current issue, since the only practical thing to compromise circuits in a physical nature. Adjustments to these type of chips is usually in steps (not a like an analog potentiometer), so seems the only thing they could do is either turn gates off to silicon not be used in the chip (probably none to turn off), or step down the power, which would mean a slower device. Depending on the array set up for the radios, they can also step those down, but also would be a likely performance decrease.

I undervolt my device to its limit and still had the motherboard die.

Voltage is configured per frequency step so power is not lost by lowering the power. Each step has it's voltage lowered individually.

Upvote 0
I undervolt my device to its limit and still had the motherboard die.

Voltage is configured per frequency step so power is not lost by lowering the power. Each step has it's voltage lowered individually.

Yes, I did say it tech wrong (trying to be real simple), though the point still remains there are only a few things that can create chip failure and involve marginal changes in heat or current flow.

Not seeing a firmware fix resolving this. Apparently the 16gb and 32gb have slightly different boards (besides the storage size) since the 16gb is the one reporting to have the problem. There are two contract manufacturers that make the GS3, so perhaps not an issue for all.

If it is, watch the GS4 get pushed up ;) I guess I am joking.

Upvote 0
I think mine just died. Shit! Now what? How is this supposed to get fixed? I didn't buy mine from an official Samsung retailer so I'll have to deal with a non-affiliated repair shop.

I'm hearing that there's a software fix but how are you supposed to apply the update when your phone's dead? BTW, what are those red rings of death?

Upvote 0
I think mine just died. Shit! Now what? How is this supposed to get fixed? I didn't buy mine from an official Samsung retailer so I'll have to deal with a non-affiliated repair shop.

I'm hearing that there's a software fix but how are you supposed to apply the update when your phone's dead? BTW, what are those red rings of death?

The fix is a work around which acts as a preventative measure.

Once its dead, its dead

Upvote 0
pretty sure it is a 2 year warranty from Samsung for this phone in uk .

Yes, correct (for UK and other European Countries)! Not sure about the US. Samsung UK definitely provide a 2 year warranty for 'Smartphones'.

So anyone with this problem is still well within warranty - the phone was only released in the UK around June of last year, so plenty of time left. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones