1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Samsung Vibrant 2.2 3G question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kiryu3000, Jan 31, 2011.

1. kiryu3000

kiryu3000 Lurker
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Hi all, I have upgraded my T-Mobile Samsung Vibrant to Froyo (2.2). I don't really use a data plan and I am planning on getting it someday. However, I have one question regarding its 3G connectivity. If you go to Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Network Mode and you can see that you can only pick GSM or WCDMA. I need to connect to the 3G network using HSDPA, which I believe GSMArena said it can connect to. However, my phone seems to be telling me otherwise. So my question is, can my phone connect to 3G using HSDPA, or am I doomed to WCDMA?

Advertisement

2. gdanl19

gdanl19 Lurker
    None

Jan 20, 2011
    you need the data plan to get HSDPA connection.

3. kiryu3000

kiryu3000 Lurker
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Yes I am aware of that. My concern is that when I go to my network settings, it only gives me the option to pick either GSM or WCDMA (but not HSDPA), which for me implies that my phone couldn't connect by HSDPA if I had the data plan. Or does the option show up only if I have a data plan?

4. scoope

scoope Member
    None

Sep 3, 2010
    gsm = edge
    wcdma = 3g

5. RCinFLA

RCinFLA Newbie
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    HSDPA (to phone) and HSUPA (from phone) is data on 3G (WCDMA) not GSM

Edge or GPRS is data on GSM

The options in the setting is force GSM, force 3G, or auto.

If you set it for 3G and you don't have 3G coverage you are out of service.

If you set to auto you will get 3G if available in coverage area. If not (or if it is weak) it will fall back to GSM (2G). T-Mobile would prefer the phone on their 3G network (even if only voice) since in many areas they have trouble handling the call capacity on 2G. They really hate you using 2G for data since it takes more bandwidth on their 2G network. They with limit 2G data rate if they need the capacity for 2G voice calls.

T-Mobile 3G is 1700/2100 MHZ AWS RF band. 2G is 1900 MHz PCS band.

Your phone searches for 'neighbor' cell towers in background operation to be prepared for a service handover, particularly if your are moving in a car. The neighbor list the phone receives as part of the background system data may contain both 3G and 2G neighbors within the T-Mobile network.

6. cardy

cardy Newbie
    None

Mar 9, 2011
    Drafter
    Toronto Canada
    im with wind in canada and im not able to use my data for some reason i already set my apn settings through wind tecn support but still no connectivity?? they suggested a reboot,,

Another thing that is strange was my 3G symbol was missing thourgh out the entire tech support stag with wind, and then randomly its back on my main screen? I thought my internet would work via 3g but still nothing??

Does anyone have any clue??

I quess My next step is too call samsun tech support, if this doesnt solve then i quess a reboot, If that doesnt solve it then :( im Sad