• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung vibrant dark pictures test

2010-09-09044355.jpg
[/IMG]
2010-09-09044355.jpg
[/IMG]

Upvote 0
Beats me. I took some pics in total darkness with the night mode on and nada! Added some light and the pics were awful. Turned off the night mode and the pics were slightly better. I wonder if mine doesn't work....
They say you need SOME light,...... at least a little within 6 feet while using the night mode. I havent messed around with the settings while using night mode myself so i dont know yet what it is capable of.

Upvote 0
Beats me. I took some pics in total darkness with the night mode on and nada! Added some light and the pics were awful. Turned off the night mode and the pics were slightly better. I wonder if mine doesn't work....

Its not going to do anything in darnkess. its not a nightvision set of goggles.

I guess a better way of explaining it is not ''darkness'' but ''low light'' you still need some light.

Upvote 0
Its not going to do anything in darnkess. its not a nightvision set of goggles.

I guess a better way of explaining it is not ''darkness'' but ''low light'' you still need some light.

Absolutely right. Some basic photography information would be useful in understanding the relationship of light to the captured image. ISO settings can only do so much. You must have some light even nightvision requires starlight.

Upvote 0
and basically the easiest way i can think of to explain is that its enhancing the light and using that to its advantage. so if you have no light it cant do anything. The image of the stadium being built is such a perfect example of it. the original pic looks so dark but the second one looks awesome.

Upvote 0
It's just way too fuzzy for my taste. When I take pics in low lighting it is of my kids and their faces are too fuzzy for it to be a decent pic. The stadium pic looked clear. I haven't had any clear pics on night mode. My house has poor lighting and I can't take any pics inside after like 3pm in any mode.

*sigh* You know im going to be honest with you here, from the beginning it sounds like youve made your mind up on the camera. so im not going to bother with any more pictures or explanations to you about this phones camera. Youve already made up your mind.

Upvote 0
*sigh* You know im going to be honest with you here, from the beginning it sounds like youve made your mind up on the camera. so im not going to bother with any more pictures or explanations to you about this phones camera. Youve already made up your mind.
I don't know. I think mine may just not work for some reason. None of my pics are clear. The ones other people have been posting look much better. I'm not sure if everyone is tweaking all of their settings or just hitting night mode and getting lucky. Or maybe the lighting in my house is just really sucky.

Upvote 0
I don't know. I think mine may just not work for some reason. None of my pics are clear. The ones other people have been posting look much better. I'm not sure if everyone is tweaking all of their settings or just hitting night mode and getting lucky. Or maybe the lighting in my house is just really sucky.

I think its got to be your settings... I just took a picture in my bedroom, and it came out so much brighter in the pic than in person.

Mel-Copy.jpg

Ok just realized I forgot to take a before/ settings pic. So I will do this again outside when its dark :)

Upvote 0

I didn't adjust my pictures a lot. I change the resolution down some since most of my pictures where going to social sites anyway.
I thought the video recording quality wasn't great but compared to my MYtouch3g it will do.
I was going out last night for the Halo reach release party and take some late night pics again but I was too tired, so I may go to Buffalo Wild wings tonight and do some more to see.

Upvote 0

Patience my friend. Perhaps you are right OR there may be a 1 in 10,000 chance she has a defective camera. I doubt it, but there is a way to find out. And Robinelli has demonstrated in the past that she has an open mind and is willing to try to make things work out. So let's try.

Robinelli, please take no offense at the following information, if it helps it's worth the effort and if not, just forget about it. We first need to rule out user error to determine if you indeed have a defective camera.

Remember the link that Ghost posted above to KenRockwell.com about the "Megapixel Myth?" That site has a wealth of good information about photography. I know this to be true because I shoot a lot of images. I'm not a pro but let's say I'm an avid hobbyist with some good equipment including a DSLR and several top line lenses.

Sharpness depends more on your photographic skill than the number of megapixels, because most people's sloppy technique or subject motion blurs the image more than the width of a microscopic pixel.
[read more here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm ]

Reread the above excerpt from Ken and let that sink in and then read this:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]People presume unsharp images are caused by a defective camera or lens. 99% of the time it's photographer error![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Today's high resolution digital cameras are unforgiving of any error by the photographer. It takes a great deal of skill to extract every pixel of sharpness of which today's cameras are capable. Modern (2005 and newer) cameras have zero tolerance for photographer errors if you are looking for the greatest sharpness. [/FONT]​
[read more here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/unsharp.htm ]

Here is a shot I took with the Vibrant using stock settings on my way to my front door, having just picked up the Vibrant. I wasn't as steady as I usually try to be, didn't read up on the camera, didn't make any adjustments, I just snapped a quick image and went in the house.

[keep in mind that this is substantially downsized from full resolution and not as sharp as it is right off the Vibrant when viewed on my PC]

The camera in the Vibrant is remarkably good for a point and shoot based on my experience. Try reading the "Fixing Unsharp Images" information at Ken Rockwell completely. Then find a way to stabilize your hands while shooting with the Vibrant, it can be as simple as resting your elbows snugly into your ribcage or using a rest for your hands, then carefully snap the image with as little motion as possible. You may just be able to isolate what is causing the "unsharpness" in your images. At first, make it easy by using well lighted subjects. And practice, shoot lots of images, the film is cheap and so is the developing! ;) It's not like the old days...

Have fun and keep us posted on your progress Robinelli! :)

Upvote 0
Robo, something in your post just clicked for me. Tell me if this is the problem. All of the pics people have been posting are of still shots. The pics I've been trying to take are of WILD children. Perhaps that's the problem. The night mode maybe doesn't do well with subjects in motion?

When you go in night mode, my tells me to "keep camera still" so maybe that means there cant be too much movement?

So that may be the problem you've been having :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones