• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung vs iPhone - Oh, you'll love this...

would be more 'fun' if it weren't so one-sided. like the price of Apple products that fandroids are so quick to judge Apple for. try buying a non-subsidized Android phone--a good one is well over $699 w/o contract. that's $200 more than an iPhone, so who's the overpriced company here?

same when it comes to tablets. a Nexus 10 is well over $499, the same price as the third-generation iPad. i have not been disappointed in any of my Apple products. as they say 'you get what you pay for'. the same cannot always be true of Android--as Android is placed on some very flimsy hardware, while Apple has the benefit of always being on quality hardware.

Android has no comparative to the Retina display which will always put Apple on top in my view. until i can use my Android phone or tablet without getting a migraine from extended use, it will be the one thing keeping most of my time on my iPad.

The thing is Android is a free operating system--it is built off of a Linux kernel. so what you're paying for is hardware. $699 for the hardware. the iPhone has a superior screen, a far smoother UI, and quality hardware for $200 less non-subsidized. it's easy to assume that if i could tether and download music from one, that i'd quickly replace my Android phone with an iPhone in a split-second.

Upvote 0
I don't know. As an apple user, venturing into the droid world for the second time... first wit the original note, I can't stand the S 3. The battery life is crap, its buggy and laggy, the regular keyboard stinks and jelly bean still isn't as polished as iOS.

I have a second S3 on its way to me but if that one is the same as this one then I'm going back to my iPhone 5. The bigger screen is nice but not enough to lure me away from Apple's amazing ecosystem and polish.

Upvote 0
30 years ago, I might have tried some of that too.
Ya know, the last time I smoked anything was back in the early 70's, so I'm a little behind on the times... I hear the stuff you kids have these days can make a man go blind.
In fact, I knew a dude that tried some stuff back then that made him go half-blind in one eye... and he still can't hear out of the other one to this day. Should I dilute it with something first? I mean, man... I don't want to lobotomize myself, ya know? lol

"the iPhone has a superior screen, a far smoother UI, and quality hardware for $200 less non-subsidized."

Do some reading up on actual specs, and then go try a nice debloated Jellybean ROM on a Samsung G3 or Note2, and then get back to us with your new thoughts about 'smoother' and 'superior', okay? ;)
(Don't go getting all bent bro... no harm intended. I'm just funn'n with ya) :p

I'll give the iPhone this - for such a tiny screen, it does look really good... and it's camera takes some of the sharpest pictures found on a cell phone.
But empirical facts and hands-on experience beat biased opinions and hear-say any day of the week. If the iPhone was actually better for my purposes, I'd have bought one instead... but for me, it's just too restricted - in so many different ways.

Granted, the new iPhone5's screen resolution of 640

Attachments

• bill_murray-stripes1981-1390.jpg
    bill_murray-stripes1981-1390.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
well for you an Android fits. what my gripe is, is about all of these folks on the forums trashing Apple. if someone likes Android fine. but not everyone HAS TO. that's the problem. it's either everyone accepts Android or go phone-less. Apple is NOT evil. they are a company just like Google.

if i have to choose, i won't choose a more-expensive Android over an iPhone. simple as that. $699 for anything comparable? please. then i have to root the thing to make any use of it.

for my use, i could care less about widgets, customization and such. just the wallpaper is good enough. i like the notification badges vs a status bar full of needless icons from every app. surprised Android has not made that an option. only haphazard hardly working launcher replacements and only supporting missed calls, texts and maybe Facebook. come on Google app badges are not hard!

for my use, stability, speed, smoothness, and no migraines takes more precedent over tweaking. tweaking means little to nothing on a phone with like one day of battery life, crash-prone UI, and lag. the tradeoff is not worth it. a few 'this app is not responding, do you want to close it?' alerts with me angrily hitting 'NO NO NO!' is not something i like getting used to. Apple does not bug me with useless alerts!

I'll say one thing about my ZTE Merit. it has no scratches, and i am surprised that such a cheap phone has not gotten a cracked digitizer from my angry taps, and keeps working despite being smashed, thrown against walls, and dropped many times. most of that due to frustration at it. i had to hack the hell out of the OS to make it work for me. but that should not be necessary. everytime i look at an Android desktop i feel like it's a watered down copycat of Apple's iOS. even the apps that look professionally developed on iOS look like limited watered-down versions on Android (apps such as Facebook, Skype, Netflix, etc)

Upvote 0
The verdict is in - Samsung beats the crap out of Apple, and makes it cry mommy. lol

If the article on this forum's front page is to be believed, Apple took Samesong's position to become the top mobile phone vendor (US) with a 34% market share. Things will eventually change and someone else will displace Apple in Q whatever.

"It posted $54.5 billion in revenue and $13.1 billion in profit. Samsung dozen

Upvote 0
well for you an Android fits. what my gripe is, is about all of these folks on the forums trashing Apple. if someone likes Android fine. but not everyone HAS TO. that's the problem. it's either everyone accepts Android or go phone-less. Apple is NOT evil. they are a company just like Google.

My theory is many people arrive at an Android or Apple forum and feel that they must trash Android or Apple. They think if you say something nice about Apple in an Android forum, all hell will break loose. Some join just to trash a device they have never used.

Both systems are just fine. The iPhone is a remarkable design and the Note/S3 are great devices as well. Most Android/Apple users do not know we the AF exist and they likely have better things to do than whine about the other guy.

They are great devices, no matter what others say.

Upvote 0
Wow bro... I feel ya. I wish your experience with Android was as nice as mine...
I have a custom debloated Jellybean ROM on my SGS3 (it took 10 minutes to install), and its super fast, zero lag,and stable as a rock - no FC's or bugs... no "This app is not responding" at all, and I get no popups or ads from free apps, thanks to Add-Free.
As to the widgets and icons, I can make them look however I want, and when I want.
And I payed only $399 for it new-in the box, and with no contract to shackle me down for 2 years. Unlimited everything, for only $60 per month.

But I understand your frustration - I had an LG Optimus M running Froyo 2.2 that was buggy as all heck... FC's all the time, problematic and laggy. I had it replaced 3 times, but it was only after I installed CM7 on it that it calmed down and became smoother.

I have 3 friends with iPhones - one has the 5, and the other 2 have the 4S.... one 4S is butter smooth, while the other is laggy and FC's all the time.

Weird...

Upvote 0
My theory is many people arrive at an Android or Apple forum and feel that they must trash Android or Apple. They think if you say something nice about Apple in an Android forum, all hell will break loose. Some join just to trash a device they have never used.

Both systems are just fine. The iPhone is a remarkable design and the Note/S3 are great devices as well. Most Android/Apple users do not know we the AF exist and they likely have better things to do than whine about the other guy.

They are great devices, no matter what others say.

Thank God that's only a theory. lol

Now, as to the numbers... did you know that 47.38705% of all statistics are made up on the spot? :rolleyes:

And thank God companies don't lie about their quarterly's... after all - it would be unethical to lie and try to manipulate the market and their investors, wouldn't it? ;)

Upvote 0
The new claim is "American" for Apple. Have they started making phones here yet?
Who else is "American" in name - Motorola? Anyone else?

Toyota, Nissan, Mercedes now have manufacturing presence here - they can claim "American" "American Made" anyway.

Well, Apple is indeed an American company.

Way back in the day, some American manufacturers used foreign components just like today. Very few 100% American companies exist. And by that I mean, American companies using 100% American parts, materials ands components.

Palm Pilots were made in Salt Lake City, Utah. We used digitizer/back light assemblies made by Fonconn. Palm was an American Company using foreign components.

I would expect an American company to use 100% American parts only if those parts were of good quality. If foreign makers can produce better components, I would expect the American company to use those.

I favor Leica cameras. But I know Eastman Kodak produced cameras with extraordinary lenses.

We can do it if we try but I doubt you will find a 100 American made whatever. You might, but they are few and far between.

Upvote 0
Apparently this is only in the UK. It's a different story here in the USA.

If anything Samsung outselling Apple in the UK is even more impressive since they pretty much don't advertise at all over here. I mean they buy a few billboards but there's no big TV campaigns like there are in the US. Apple on the other hand goes all out with their marketing here yet still sold fewer phones than Samsung. I have to give them props for that.

I'm not an Apple hater, Apple make a lot of awesome stuff, I'm typing this on an Apple laptop. But Apple is behind in the smartphone race right now IMO.

Upvote 0
If anything Samsung outselling Apple in the UK is even more impressive since they pretty much don't advertise at all over here. I mean they buy a few billboards but there's no big TV campaigns like there are in the US. Apple on the other hand goes all out with their marketing here yet still sold fewer phones than Samsung. I have to give them props for that.

I'm not an Apple hater, Apple make a lot of awesome stuff, I'm typing this on an Apple laptop. But Apple is behind in the smartphone race right now IMO.

That's what Apple's Litigious mindset has cost them... it's left a bad taste in people's mouths the world over.
Talk about throwing the Baby out with the bathwater... SMH :(

US Patent Laws were originally put in place to protect the little guy with a great idea... but companies like Apple have manipulated the Cort/Legal system to their advantage (or, I should say TRIED to manipulate)... and its a trend I'm afraid will spread FAST if not stopped soon.

Like the old saying goes - "Everything in moderation"

Did anyone here watch the History Channel series "The Men who built America"?

Does this not sound similar to the monopoly that John D. Rockefeller tried to pull with Kerosene - and FAILED?

In the words of George Santayana (Reason in Common Sense, The Life of Reason, Vol.1)...."Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
Or, the Edmund Burke statement (1729-1797), "Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."

And now, Samsung has tried to pull the same crap in retaliation... SMH :thinking:

Perhaps Dick the butcher, from Shakespeare's 'Henry the Sixth, Part 2, Act 4, scene 2, 71-78'... was right after all. lol

Upvote 0
That's what Apple's Litigious mindset has cost them... it's left a bad taste in people's mouths the world over.
Talk about throwing the Baby out with the bathwater... SMH :(

US Patent Laws were originally put in place to protect the little guy with a great idea... but companies like Apple have manipulated the Cort/Legal system to their advantage (or, I should say TRIED to manipulate)... and its a trend I'm afraid will spread FAST if not stopped soon.

Like the old saying goes - "Everything in moderation"

Did anyone here watch the History Channel series "The Men who built America"?

Does this not sound similar to the monopoly that John D. Rockefeller tried to pull with Kerosene - and FAILED?

In the words of George Santayana (Reason in Common Sense, The Life of Reason, Vol.1)...."Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
Or, the Edmund Burke statement (1729-1797), "Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."

And now, Samsung has tried to pull the same crap in retaliation... SMH :thinking:

Perhaps Dick the butcher, from Shakespeare's 'Henry the Sixth, Part 2, Act 4, scene 2, 71-78'... was right after all. lol

Apple failed when they tried this in the UK, and the court made them print a formal apology to Samsung in the national press. The UK is awesome like that.

In all fairness - although Apple absolutely abused the patent system and I don't support that at all - I think they did have a bit of a point in their case. Look at the OG Galaxy S and compare it to the latest iPhone at the time (which I believe was the 3GS) and you can see that it was a direct copy in both hardware and software design. The original TouchWiz was a blatant rip-off of iOS and there were even documents showing that Samsung specifically looked at how to make their products emulate Apple's as much as possible.

Again, this is not to say that Apple was right in their actions, because they went way over the top, and of course Samsung's recent phones are far more original and innovative too. But the accusations Apple made were not entirely unfounded.

I do however find it ironic that it's now Apple who's copying Android devices. They copied the dropdown menubar, they copied the mini tablet design, and according to current rumours they're about to launch an iPhone with a substantially larger screen. What this says to me is that Apple is running out of ideas. The original iPhone was full of innovation but every iteration since then has simply been adding features that should have been there in the first place and they've had no new big ideas. That's why they tried to hold back their competition in the courts and it's pathetic quite frankly.

The way I see it, though, there is absolutely no reason to buy an iPhone 5 over an iPhone 4S. It has a slightly bigger screen and a very minor spec bump. Who cares? There's no substance, there's nothing that makes you go wow. I think Android phones now have more wow factor than iPhones.

What I'm trying to say is that Android has out-Appled Apple and if things keep going the way they are Android will only keep growing more at the expense of iOS.

This ad from Samsung sums it up nicely:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones