• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Website says Captivate comes with Android OS 2.2

The link has a section on media hub which isn't activated until you have froyo. I don't think that and the full ad at the top that mentions it are a typo. Also the little picture on the left shows a small android 2.1 robot standing outside of the phone with a 2.2 robot peaking out from behind the actual phone, this all says to me that they are updating the page to reflect the upcoming update. Wish they would say when...I could see them updating the page a while in advance.

Upvote 0
Just had a online chat with Customer service rap. See what he says.

rt_arrow.gif
Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
rt_arrow.gif
You are now chatting with 'Paxton'
Paxton: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
Visitor: I have Android 2.1
Visitor: but the website says it comes with 2.2
Visitor: is there any update
Visitor: why havent I recieved it?
Paxton: I understand that you want information regarding andriod 2.2. Am I right?
Visitor: yes
Visitor: also about why on the website its saying that samsung captivate comes with 2.2.
Paxton: As it is about to release that the reason it has been posted on Samsung website.
Visitor: can you give me a specific date?
Paxton: We are unable to speculate when/if a software revision might be available due to the fact that this might lead to inaccurate information and confusion.
Visitor: but posting that it comes with 2.2 is also leading to inaccurate information and confusion.
Paxton: When the update is official, it will be posted on our web site in the Samsung Download Center.
Visitor: but I am just saying that its wrong that I got it last month and I dont have latest software but people who will buy it now, will have it stocked?
Visitor: anybody there?
Paxton: Not to worry once the update is released you can update the phone.
Paxton: You will get a notification message from your carrier from where you can update "OTA".
Visitor: I want the date sir, I have been waiting for a long time. Is there anything called customer service, you guys ae sayng that since september
Visitor: can you atleast tell me why so much delay?
Paxton: I understand your concern.
Visitor: and what are you doing to help me? atleast tell me why there is so much delay
Paxton: Unfortunately we don't have information regarding the release date for the update. Once it's official you can find it on the Samsung Download Center.
Visitor: what are you guys hiding from us? why are you not open about it?
Visitor: ok if i buy a new phone now, will it come with 2.2?
Paxton: I am sorry it will not come with the latest phone.
Visitor: but your website says it will be
Paxton: Can you hold for 2 minutes while I gather required information?
Visitor: yes
Paxton: Thank you.
Visitor: I am waiting here
Paxton: Thank you for holding.
Paxton: I am sorry for the confusion, but you will get it with android 2.1 later it will be update to andriod 2.2 when it's released.
Visitor: so you are saying, you are misleading new customers ?
Paxton: I apologize for the confusion, I am positive that it will be released very soon.

Reactions: goodm0urning
Upvote 0
That was a halarious conversation. Those Samsung Reps are funny man. "So will it come with android 2.2"? Rep "If you buy the phone it will come with 2.1 and later update to 2.2." Me "So your misleading aint you by saying that and its not true?" Rep "When it comes out you will get OTA" LMAO

Samsung Rep. "When I look at my mom laying in bed, she looks fine and phone will work when we release 2.2 OTA from carrier" HAHHAA

Upvote 0
Dude, i don't think interrogating the rep is going to get anything done.

Gets out some emotion though! Everybody knows call service reps are whipping boys, that's why the job sucks. But I agree that it won't get anything done, especially since Samsung *probably* just barely changed their website so why would some rep in China know about it?

Upvote 0
hahaha! This is hilarious!

Paxton: We are unable to speculate when/if a software revision might be available due to the fact that this might lead to inaccurate information and confusion.
Visitor: but posting that it comes with 2.2 is also leading to inaccurate information and confusion.

Upvote 0
They changed it to 2.1, no mention of 2.2 at all now.

Project Manager: "I know we have a short week this week. Since most of you will be gone Thursday and Friday, let's go ahead and update the website now, to reflect Android 2.2 for the Captivate."

Web Developer: "Are you sure? Users will be confused because 2.2 has not yet been released."

Project Manager: "Shut up, you! The dumb end users won't even notice! Change it now or you're fired."

:p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones