1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Samsung won't start

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ringtailroxy, Dec 13, 2011.

1. ringtailroxy

ringtailroxy Lurker
    None

Dec 13, 2011
    I've had my Galaxy Indulge for about three months now, no complaints, totally in love... until today.

I accidentally let my battery run out (forgot phone in car from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.) and when I got to work, put on charger.

Well, phone charges, but when I turn it on, it shows start up screen, shows main screen (locked), displays the live screen saver, shows the date as December 31, 7:00p.m. which turns immediately to 7:01 p.m., then the whole thing goes black and starts all over again with the Samsung initial start p screen!

I do have lots of apps, and I am often downloading, trying, and then deleting apps/ I have never rooted my phone or done any modifications, and I run a downloaded Android Security App, Advanced Task Killer, & every download I run a "push" finding Android App to eliminate unwanted solicitations.

Any ideas? I've allowed the phone to fully charge, removed the battery for 20 minutes, re-installed, removed SIM card, re-installed SIM card, and yet no improvement. My phone IS MY LIFE. Really. I use it for everything, including work!!!

Any advice is appreciated.

rtr

Advertisement

2. Technipages

Technipages Member
    None

Mar 13, 2010
    Security Admin for a large banking company.
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I'd do a factory reset.

With the phone off, press and hold the R button while pressing Power for 5 seconds to turn it on. Use the volume up and down keys to highlight factory reset, then press Power to choose it.

You'll have to start over with apps and data as everything will be erased, but it's better than not having a working phone.

-Mitch

3. ringtailroxy

ringtailroxy Lurker
    None

Dec 13, 2011
    If I do the factory reset, will all the apps I have actually paid for still be able to be downloaded? I don't want to have to repay for apps!
    rtr

4. k0nane

k0nane Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2011
    Male
    I do stuff, with things
  5. ringtailroxy

ringtailroxy Lurker
    None

Dec 13, 2011
    Well that was a double-waste. I did the factory reset, lost all my images, info, songs, notes, apps, & video... and for nothing. The phone is still caught in a start-up loop. I'm going to Best Buy later on today after I get off of work 2 see what they can do for me.

rtr

6. ringtailroxy

ringtailroxy Lurker
    None

Dec 13, 2011
    I tried to do the factory reset 3 times... and all with the same results... I know I am a total newb and have not tried to be so brave as to root my phone or anything like that... but today is my freakin;' birthday, I have friends that have come from out of town (from Martha's Vineyard!!), and now they have NO WAY TO CONTACT ME. I am certain I have missed a business call or two...

But the most depressing thing of all is that not only did I save for 2 paychecks to buy this phone (my 1st Android), but I had several pictures on my phone (damn good ones too!) of some of my patients that are no longer alive... I liked to think that they lived on in my phone, that I captured them before they where gone... but now they really are. Sucks suckity sucks sucks.

I don't know what Best Buy will do for me. I will likely have to be further inconvenienced by sending it back to manufacturer. I've only had it for 2 1/2 months!!! So much for love...

rtr

7. tiede

tiede Android Expert
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    Male
    curious, aren't we?
    Orlando, Fl
    Depending on how the pictures were saved, they might still be availabe.
    Take the battery cover of the phone and look on the right hand side of the device.
    There should be a microSD card there.
    Using a microSD adapter, place it in your sd card reader on your computer, and browser through the folders. You should still have your pics and (most of) your ringtones there.
    As for your phone causing you problem still even after a hard reset, you may try to ODIN the device back to factory state if you want to, since you appear to not really have a lot of time on your hands to head to the store and wait three days for an exchange.
    It's a really straight forward process and unless (like me) you don't go pressing buttons they tell you not to or checking options they say to leave unchecked, you should be fine.

Really, it boils down to opening the program with your phone in download mode,
    Checking that partition is NOT checked (EFS should NOT be checked as well) and clicking pit, add the pit file, click PDA and add the tar file, then click start.
    That's it. You should only have to click on three (3) buttons TOTAL and you will be set.
    You will find the step by step instructions in the ODIN sticky thread in the "All things root" subsection
    If you did have more time, i'd have said take it to metro for an exchange, but that seems to be a non option for you at this time.

And oh, happy birthday! I hope all goes well for you!