• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SAMSUNG'S invasive, baked in advertisements

redrosealways

Jan 26, 2020
Screenshot_20200203-113602_Settings.jpg
20200203_112807.jpg

20200203_112748.jpg

I heard about bloatware before I invested in my first Android - a Galaxy S10, so I purposely paid $1000 out of pocket at once to get an unlocked un-aded up phone from Samsung. After all that, I find that there are STILL ADS POPPING UP. There's an annoying one from Norton Antivirus via Samsung that criticises my home internet everytime I connect and tells me I have to PAY A MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION ON TOP OF MY EXPENSIVE INVESTMENT TO "PROTECT" MY PHONE which I never had to do the past 10 years on my iPhones and they were perfectly secure. Well I don't want to pay extra money if Android because I didn't realize Android was so vulnerable I can't use it safely on home WiFi, go away and get the **** off my phone! NOPE! Samsung says it's an advertisement and has greyed out all the toggles to stop it from popping up and annoying the **** out of me everytime I get home and try to use the internet in my own home! If this can't be disabled (and yes I tried all the "force close and clear cache and data" stuff) I am going back to the AD-FREE iPhone besides me because Apple doesn't have to pull that ****. It's really invasive and I'm tired of it popping up and am angry after throwing out all that money that Samsung would have the balls to force popups on me demanding more for this annoying feature to stop bothering me.

Reactions: MrJavi
Samsung themselves include bloat on their phones, not just the carriers. What I'd suggest is turning off this "Secure WiFi" bloatware itself: it sounds like something Samsung have added, and certainly isn't a regular part of android.

But I'm sure we have people here with experience of recent Samsungs who will be able to advise on what they do - I doubt they are all putting up with persistent ads.

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
Samsung themselves include bloat on their phones, not just the carriers. What I'd suggest is turning off this "Secure WiFi" bloatware itself: it sounds like something Samsung have added, and certainly isn't a regular part of android.

But I'm sure we have people here with experience of recent Samsungs who will be able to advise on what they do - I doubt they are all putting up with persistent ads.
thanks! yeah, Samsung literally says that's it's an "advertisement" and "it cannot be disabled." I just looked into rooting the phone to get rid of the Samsung bloatware manually but I read on Magik's website

As such, if you have never rooted a device before, or if you have difficulties following instructions in the order mentioned, then I would not recommend that you attempt this on your brand new S10.

Upvote 0
"Secure WiFi" is Samsung's own VPN, security, and ad-blocking service, that they're trying to upsell you?

FYI there's an XDA thread about it here.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/tmobile-galaxy-note-8/help/how-to-rid-secure-wi-fi-icon-t3717102

Of course this is not something I've ever seen myself on an Android device.

Probably because I just got a brand new device running OS 10. It costs A MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION FEE and it is NOT created by Samsung. It is created by and powered by Norton and Samsung is advertising it IN their version of Android OS and you have to buy a subscription to get it to stop popping up on Galaxy S10.

FYI: That forum does show a lot of people with my issue but none of them found a fix either. They only get it off their lock screen, not everywhere else it pops up.

Upvote 0
WoW!! That definitely got to be annoying as .... I'd also be pissed if I spent $1000 on an S10 that harassed me with advertising pop ups demanding payment. Norton the anti'-virus acts much more like a virus than an anti-virus in my opinion.
If you were rooted that could be relatively easy to remove but its $1000 dollar role of the dice and doing so will void you factory warranty.

Im not sure if this suggestion was in the tread but maybe "CCSWE App Manager" is worth looking into.

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UT...android-browser&q=ccswe+app+manager+(samsung)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Blokada v4 (ad blocker) (The ad blocker - battery efficient, fast, powerful and simple to use) - https://f-droid.org/app/org.blokada.alarm
I have been using Blokada for months now and it has really made the phone usable. Thank you SO MUCH for this! Doesn't get rid of the baked in scams like Norton and other add-ons Samsung wants you to buy, but it HAS removed all of the ads from my free apps and internet and made the phone bearable. THANK YOU.

Upvote 0
I have been using Blokada for months now and it has really made the phone usable. Thank you SO MUCH for this! Doesn't get rid of the baked in scams like Norton and other add-ons Samsung wants you to buy, but it HAS removed all of the ads from my free apps and internet and made the phone bearable. THANK YOU.

Although I don't use it myself anymore, I still like Blokada.

They have a chat on Telegram (@blokadachat) where questions can be asked.

You can also meet the people that make the app work, as well as others from around the world that use the app.

I learned a lot, not just about Blokada, but Android in general there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones