• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsungs OFFICIAL word on GPS problem! Please Sticky!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinite-t

Android Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2010
OK,

I like to think of myself as a calm, easy going dude, but damn... The daily deluge of posts about the "GPS is broken, Im taking my Captivate back, selling it, blabla bla, whine whine whine.

YES The GPS IS BROKEN! Unless you were one of us who bought your Capt very early on, or didnt do any research before buying one, you knew it when you bought it!

Now for all the people who still want to fuss, fight, argue or complain about what Samsung will, or wont do about it. HERE IS THE OFFICIAL WORD FROM SAMSUNG ABOUT THE PROBLEM (again, as it has been posted here a million times)

Let me google that for you

Samsung Promises US Galaxy S GPS Fix

Samsung promises update for Vibrant and Captivate GPS issue | Android Atlas - CNET Blogs

Samsung: GPS fix for Galaxy S series coming in September | Android Atlas - CNET Blogs

Samsung Promises to Fix AT&T's Captivate and T-Mobile's Vibrant GPS Problems

Samsung promises update for Vibrant and Captivate GPS issue | TechSpy

Fix for Samsung Galaxy S issue expected to roll out in September... (Android and Me) TechNews.AM

Samsung Promises to Fix GPS Problems with AT&T's Captivate and T-Mobile's Vibrant - Brighthand

Business News from TheStreet.com

Samsung Testing GPS Fix For Galaxy S Phones and related posts

Samsung promises to release aGPS fix for Galaxy S phones by September | Android Arena

Yes, it is a shame that is is broken, yes, it should have worked from the start, yes ATT and Sammy have given mixed/bad info about the issue in the past. Yes, we all want our phones to work, yes Steve Jobs is a Douche, Yes, iP4 has working GPS, yes mine is broken too, yes I have tried the "fixes". Yes I talked to Samsung about the problem about 6 weeks ago.

Now if you want to duscuss the issue, great. But PLEASE quit with the whinnig, arguing, complaining etc. IT"S OFFICIAL THEY ARE WORKING ON IT. If you dont want to wait, take it back and get a damn iPhone or an X10!

/end rant

There is absolutely Zero excuse for this kind of mistake. AT&T and Samsung should have had field people who check for these issues. Guess what? They screwed up.

I agree. I think they knew of the problem before they were released for sale, and they thought they could get by until the fix was implemented.
To me, that is dirty business. Because of this, I have a very bad aftertaste from AT&T and Samsung. I would rather wait another month or so and get a fully functional device than get a crippled one earlier.

Upvote 0
do not think ATT's guilt is that significant - they probably tested a few phones and those phones worked fine. Remember, not every phone is effected, and some phones become bad after a few days. ATT actually did a great job pushing this phone to stores really quickly, just a couple of days behind TMOB's Vibrant, and a couple of weeks after Samsung official announcement. You guys are unbelievable - when ATT holds back a phone because of long test process you are not happy, when they release a phone quickly with some issues that could not be caught, you are still not happy.
I suggest we blame Samsung for this, solely.

Upvote 0
My first post, and I am using to say that this thread is complete and utter douchebaggery!

i AGREE with the OP's sentiments, however the thread title is no better than the cockholstering that he rants against.

I got my Captivate for freaking FREE and i still don't think it is worth it if the systems aren't functional.

And, I find that the phone call quality and external speaker sound like ass compared to my 2-year-old unlocked Nokia 5800.

I'm a Linux/UNIX admin, and I fully support the potential in the platform. However, the lack of quality control from manufacturers and carriers alike is extremely unprofessional.

Upvote 0
OP, I am actually pissed at YOU! I read the thread title and thought there was new info released. Your own thread creation itself is misleading. :)
If you think it will stop people from daily posts about how they successfully fixed their GPS, you are wrong man :)

You are right, the info here is nothing new. That is part of my point. It has been a few weeks since Samsung officially acknowleged the problem and claimed they are working on a fix. This information is aimed at the folks who still come here on a daily basis proclaiming that they are returning, selling, burning their captivate because the GPS is broken and Samsung isnt doing anything about it.

I never proclaimed or eluded to my displeasure in people posting their experience and ideas and tricks on what they did to make their GPS "work". Only to the constant re-posting of the same old (use the wireless assist, and the origional XDA "fix" that came out 4 weeks ago and has been posted here dozens of times and is INCLUDED in the sticky post on the front page). In fact, in my origional post I invited people to DISCUSS the issue, and simply asked people to try to refrain from the whining about it and posted several official links to inform people of Samsungs official word on the matter.

Sorry if I "mislead" you. But the title is 100% accurate as to what it claims, " Samsung has officially annouced (a few times even) they are aware of the problem and are working on a fix to be released soon." Hence, one might say as I did, this is Samsung's official word about the issue.

To a few others: I am NOT in any way standing up to Samsung. In fact, I proclaimed it was a SHAME that it is broken, and that it SHOULD have worked right in the first place. In some of my older posts from a month or so ago, when this problem was relatively new, I spoke of my displeasure with Samsungs obvious issue with the quality control of this device. I even returned my first one for another. The first had other serious issues besides GPS. My second one works great. The GPS worked perfect for about 3 weeks and is now dead. Anyway, all I wanted from Samsung is acknowlege the issue and promis a fix, which they have done.. it doesnt make it right, but it is being fixed.
---------
My first post, and I am using to say that this thread is complete and utter douchebaggery!

i AGREE with the OP's sentiments, however the thread title is no better than the cockholstering that he rants against.

I got my Captivate for freaking FREE and i still don't think it is worth it if the systems aren't functional.

And, I find that the phone call quality and external speaker sound like ass compared to my 2-year-old unlocked Nokia 5800.

I'm a Linux/UNIX admin, and I fully support the potential in the platform. However, the lack of quality control from manufacturers and carriers alike is extremely unprofessional.

Um.. wow.. seriously?

Despite the fact that you believe the thread to be "douchbaggery" and "co**holstery" you gave no reason why you think so, you just go on about some other non-related issues you seem to be having with the phone.

If you got the phone for free, and you find that the quality is so lacking.. here is a recommendation. Sell it! Relieve yourself the burden of it's crappyness and get some money off of it.... Failing that, take it, drop it into your toilet and flush. You are still relieved of its crappyness, it was of no monitary loss to you, and you have the satisfaction of sending it down to mingle with others of its kind... Take out your trusty Nokia and go about on your happy way... problems solved.

The only thing I can agree with you on is that general customer service has gone to crap and many major manufacturers are more obsessed with taking your money then they are with giving you a nice, well made, problem free device, including the likes of Apple and Samsung.

Upvote 0
I understand the frustration that you guys are feeling, but PLEASE stay polite and friendly and personal attack free!

Take a moment or two, breathe in and breathe out and remember that if you "can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

This will not be stickied as I am inclined to agree that another post on the topic is redundant. Some people search, some people don't. When people thing their phone broken they tend to panic and post without searching.

If threads keep reoccuring you can 1) link them to the appropriate thread to ask their question (or where the discussion is already taking place) AND/OR 2) report the post (preferably with a link to where the discussion is already taking place).

Thanks guys :)

/Thread Closed as it has served its purpose

Reactions: Infinite-t
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones