• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

San Francisco - Calendar not working.

makem

Lurker
Dec 4, 2012
I have just been given the above Android fone and find that when I select the calendar I am asked to sign into Google. Is this normal?

I have no need to sync anywhere, just need a basic reminder when an appointment is due. Birthdays, etc.

If to use the installed calendar, I must use Google than I will uninstall it and download a free or paid calendar app.

Can anyone suggest a good basic uncomplicated one?

Are you looking for a calendar that only works on your device? And to answer your question, the one that comes built into your handset does sync with Google online.

\ok, then I will use Titanium Backup to stop that calendar appearing.

Yes, I am looking for an app which runs only on the device. I use Outlook on my computers but have no need to sync.

Upvote 0
You need a gmail account to access the Play Store but do not have to actually use your gmail address. I have one but everything is forwarded to my "proper" email address. The phone calendar is set up when you set up your gmail account but you do not need to sync with it, you can use it totally locally. I sync mine with Outlook on my PC (calendar and contacts) and never sync to the "cloud".

Dave

Upvote 0
I have a gMail account and can download apps, paid and free.

The email I use is a private account for which I pay a web space provider.

The Google calendar is now frozen.

EDIT: I found aCalendar which appears to do what I need. It must have that bliddy Google calender running though!

Google are as bad as Microsoft in tying everyone to their stuff.

Upvote 0
Remember that "most" 3rd party calendars just display the data that's in the google calendar storage. That's all the Google calendar does. Make sure you don't 'uninstall' the calendar storage ..... :)

Dave

Actually I did freeze it and then found it was needed.

There are two calendar related entries, one of which is the one you mention. I think I will try just freezing the other one and see if the aCalendar still works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones