• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

San Francisco Wi-Fi In Europe?

Renniks

Sep 14, 2009
Liverpool UK
Hi all

My Dad is in Europe and is wanting to use his Phone for the Internet via Wi-Fi only. So before he went I disabled

Data Roaming

Cellular Data

Now when he searches for a new NetWork it tells him he may be charged for Data Roaming???

Is this just the Phone telling you as a precaution??
And is it just OK to connect??

Any help would be Great.....

Renniks

Is it OK to connect to what?

If you have Mobile Network Settinga/Data enabled.... unchecked..... there will be no Mobile Data....

It won't matter if Data roaming is checked or not. There is a pop-up warning if you check it, but if Mobile Data is disabled/unchecked, it will not matter.

The only networks your Dad's phone should search for will be WiFi, if you have it turned on.

He should use the Power Control widget.... to toggle on/off.

Upvote 0
Danny

Thank you for your detailed reply Mate!!

He now has it working!

He has a PAYG SIM in the Phone which he wants to use to text a few people!!

Can you give me the detailed way of turning off 'Data Roaming' And 'Mobile Network'

I could do this if I had the Phone here but if you could help it'd make it easier for him as I'm relaying all this info via Text!!

It's just so when he's not near Wi-Fi it won't eat his Money Data Wise..

Thanks

Lee (Renniks)

Upvote 0
Hi Lee, as I said earlier:

If you have Mobile Network Settinga/Data enabled.... unchecked..... there will be no Mobile Data....

This means going into Settings...tap Wireless & networks.....tap Mobile networks....this brings you to Mobile network settings page.

Here you should have Data enabled....unchecked...

also option to uncheck Data roaming....

I would also set Network mode to GSM only......

also be sure Enable always-on mobile data is unchecked

But, as I also said, the easiest and quickest way to toggle Mobile Data on/off, or WiFi on/off, or Bluetooth on/off, or GPS on/off, is to have Power Control Widget on a Home Screen, or all Home Screens.

To enable Power Control Widget, simply long-press on any free space on a Home Screen.....Add to Home Screen should pop up.......tap Widgets.....scroll down to select/tap Power Control.

It should give you something like this:

android-power-control-widget2.jpg

just see there is no mobile data button on that....it should be a button with two arrows, can't find it atm, will check later, gotta go now!!!

Gaelic Footie on the telly, All Ireland Final!!!!!

Reactions: lfc4ever
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones