• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sanity check needed - setting up a wifi with Nexus

RedMist

Apr 17, 2009
Bit of a long story, but I'll try to summarise........

1. PC connected via wire works OK.. Nexus have been working fine since January,

2. Last few days I was having difficulty accessing my wifi via my Nexus. It would work, then it wouldnt, then it would.... It "connects" gets an ip address, but I can't access anything.

3. Examining my old router (801.1b!) I accidentally snapped the aerial! I thought maybe it was partly broken anyway, causing the problem, so I bought a new router. (DLINK DIR-615)

3. Had to delete old connection on Nexus as it was WEP, this uses WAP.

4. At first, it appeared to work, then it wouldnt, then it would, then it wouldn't. It "connects" gets an ip address, but I can't access anything.

5. Today, I tried using my N800, and it works fine on the same desk as my Nexus, which doesn't. Just a few feet from the router.

Any suggestions before I lose all my hair!! I hate networking!

Any suggestions?

2. Last few days I was having difficulty accessing my wifi via my Nexus. It would work, then it wouldnt, then it would.... It "connects" gets an ip address, but I can't access anything.

3. Examining my old router (801.1b!) I accidentally snapped the aerial! I thought maybe it was partly broken anyway, causing the problem, so I bought a new router. (DLINK DIR-615)

4. At first, it appeared to work, then it wouldnt, then it would, then it wouldn't. It "connects" gets an ip address, but I can't access anything.

5. Today, I tried using my N800, and it works fine on the same desk as my Nexus, which doesn't. Just a few feet from the router.

Any suggestions?

This will be a shot in the dark... but I have had similar problems like this... but with PC's. They would be connected to the wifi but not have internet access. Try going into your router's internet settings (WAN settings) and set up the DNS for open DNS by using this set of numbers:

This may solve your problem with your N1, but if not... keep the settings anyway. It will boost your browsing speeds on all of your PC's and devices.

Reactions: RedMist
Upvote 0
Well I had a feeling it might have been DNS, but as my PC was working find I assumed it was the Nexus.

What I did was to change the DNS setting in advanced, within the Nexus to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Googles DNS)

This did not solve the problem.. :(

EDIT: Sorry I forgot to say I also put these settings in the router.

Upvote 0

Any suggestions?

i have the same Dlink with WEP encryption and it works great. when i had a wpa encryption would constantly disconnect

Reactions: RedMist
Upvote 0
Using WEP seemed to worked perfectly. However, it was not secure, so I had a fiddle with the settings and I have updated the setting to be

802.11g/802.11b (Ignoring 802.11n)

WPA-Personal

WPA2 only (Not Auto WPA/WPA2)

So far so good!

Thank you very much to everyone who tried to help!

I still don't know if it's Android or Dlink which is at fault.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones