• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Save Tivo files?

OhioGuy59

Nov 1, 2010
Ohio
I have a Samsung A8 tablet. My cable box uses Tivo to record shows. Through the Tivo app on my tablet, I can download shows that I've recorded on my Tivo. My question is, can I move those downloaded Tivo recordings from my tablet to another device (external HD, PC, etc) for viewing elsewhere? When I download the Tivo recordings using the app on my tablet, I can't find a copy of them anywhere on my tablet. Does anybody know where those files are stored? Thanks

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Tivo downloads and recordings are encrypted with DRM(Digital Restrictions Management), to restrict you from copying and playing them on any device that isn't authorised, or sharing them with others, etc. It could be it's using obfuscated file-names, and possibly hidden files and folders as well?

BTW is Tivo actually still around, as last time I heard about that was back in the '00s.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure Tivo downloads and recordings are encrypted with DRM(Digital Restrictions Management), to restrict you from copying and playing them on any device that isn't authorised, or sharing them with others, etc. It could be it's using obfuscated file-names, and possibly hidden files and folders as well?

BTW is Tivo actually still around, as last time I heard about that was back in the '00s.
Yes, Tivo is still around. It's what my cable company uses to record shows. I can view the recorded shows on my tablet and phone using the Tivo app. There is an option to download the recorded shows for offline viewing. I'm just trying to figure out if I can somehow get those downloaded files and view them elsewhere.
Yes, it is possible they use DRM so that might make my search a waste of time.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones