1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Saved CWM .img to SD, but can't access?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by QR25DE, Jun 24, 2011.

1. QR25DE

QR25DE Newbie
    None

Mar 20, 2011
    Cell Phone Sales
    Western Massachusetts
    This is my first attempt at rooting anything...I'm reasonably intelligent and I have an understanding of how technology works. I've gone through two different tutorials on rooting the NOOKcolor, and get stuck at the same place.

I download the appropriate files to my computer, and I am able to successfully transfer the 1gb_clockwork .img to my SD card. But once I access the SD card from my computer, it won't let me open the drive...it tells me the disk needs formatted. :thinking:

Can anyone help me with this? I can't wait to have this thing rooted, but if I can't access anything on my SD card, it seems futile!!

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I'm not sure which set of instructions you're using, but try using Colchiro's instructions in this thread. He's got different instructions based on whether or not you're already rooted. Be sure and use the ones for not being rooted. If CM7 isn't you're ultimate goal, you can always flash a different ROM after rooting.

http://androidforums.com/nookcolor-all-things-root/352736-how-install-cm7-your-nook-color.html

My GUESS is that you've not formatted the SD to be bootable, but that's just a guess.

3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    You did use WinImage to write the .img file to the sd, right?

4. QR25DE

QR25DE Newbie
    None

Mar 20, 2011
    Cell Phone Sales
    Western Massachusetts
    I followed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88qRbLLEAPQ that video, as well as the master "how to root" guide posted within this forum that redirects to the XDA forum.

Probably not...how would I do that?

I believe I used Win32DiskImager...

5. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    When you burnt your Clockwork Recovery sd card, how long did it take? If it only seemed to take a few seconds, then it didn't work. Depending on the size of the card it will take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes. Two things stick in my mind (It's been a while since I rooted) ... It was recommended that the sd card be at least 2 GB (again, may not be necessary, but I do recall that) and that you must run Win32imager as administrator (right click the exe file and run as administrator). If you did that, then I'm out of gas.

6. TheAmazingDave

TheAmazingDave Android Expert
    None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    IT Helpdesk Technician
    The 408
    If the image was written to the card properly the card should be set to boot already.

Did you just copy the image to the card or did you actually write/burn the image? Big difference.

7. QR25DE

QR25DE Newbie
    None

Mar 20, 2011
    Cell Phone Sales
    Western Massachusetts
    Oh, it took a while. I first tried it with an 8gb card, and it took a solid 20 minutes to write. After the difficulties, I tried with a 1gb card and it took 5-10 minutes to write. However, I haven't taken note to running Win32Imager as administrator or anything else, I'll give that a look.

Oh I wrote/burnt it (not sure the correct terminology?) But I certainly didn't just copy/paste it.

8. Valkerie

Valkerie Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 11, 2010
    You can also use a smaller image on a larger card. The image size/card size does not need to match, as long as the image is smaller than the card capacity.

Make sure Win32Imager is run as administrator and is not installed on a network drive. Make sure it is on a local drive. I ran into the network vs. local drive when I used it the first time. For whatever reason it doesn't like to run from a network drive.