1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Root saved data question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by klandenstein, Mar 4, 2010.

1. klandenstein

klandenstein New Member

Mar 4, 2010
    I've been running a 2.1 rom and was wondering if i could somehow save particular app data, like per say what i want, which is savegame data. how would i go about backing up just that? so when i wipe/flash i can just put the game with its savedata without having to back up my whole /data folder.

Advertisement

2. esocid

esocid Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Not worth mentioning
    Virginia Beach, VA
    If you are referring to save games in an emulator, they're in whatever folder your ROMs are, on your sdcard As for anything else, I have no idea where they save the data, but should also be on the sdcard. Snoop around your sdcard for any new folders that seem like they are related to a game.

3. klandenstein

klandenstein New Member

Mar 4, 2010
    I snooped through every dir and subdir of /sdcard, and nothing was there. i found saves of other games, but not the one i want. would it be in /system? and if it was, how would i mount /system? if its any help the game i'm speaking of is jewellust.

4. njKeever

njKeever Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Titanium backup allows you to backup individual apps and data.

5. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!!

Jan 31, 2010
    Ohio
    Klandenstein, I needed to install Ultimate Droid v5 on my phone and then I saw your post so I figured I could do two things at once. I too was seeking the same kind of backup capability as I have been using MyBackup Pro to back up my apps.

I had heard this but had yet to try it...so here's what I found from a little testing...

***Set up***
    - Installed Ultimate Droid v5 ROM (stock)
    - Installed all of my applications (Pandora, SetCPU, etc.)
    - Set up my applications (signed into Pandora, configured profiles in SetCPU, etc.)
    - Configured my POP email accounts
    - Set my screen icons and widgets up the way I like to have them for 7 screen configuration (got everything situated like my color of the battery life widget, etc.)
    - Renamed and moved the facebook app so I could skin it in metamorph
    - I played a game of Home Run Battle so I had a "high score" listed
    - Set Ringtones, volume levels, etc.
    -I'm sure there was more but bottom line...I was all configured and set-up with my new ROM and it took about 1 hour.

***Testing***
    - Downloaded the free version of Titanium Backup from the market
    - Made a backup with Titanium (selected Batch backup of "all user apps + system data")
    - Powered down my phone and then entered recovery
    - Made a nandroid backup (in case Titanium failed to restore everything
    - Reflashed the stock version of Ultimate Droid v5
    - Once flashed, I rebooted the phone (no icons, widgets, etc. were showing and none of my apps were loaded)
    - Downloaded the free version of Titanium Backup again
    - Performed a restore of all user apps + data with Titanium Backup (had to step though the installation of all user apps but all settings restored automatically through this process)
    - I was not prompted to reboot and as no icons or widgets were populated...I rebooted the phone

***Findings***
    - When phone rebooted, I had all shortcuts where I had placed them before my initial backup.
    - Widgets were all in correct places but all of them were mere placeholders. They all had to be deleted and then I had to set up all widgets manually.
    - When some widgets were added, like the Battery Life widget, The red color of the battery widget returned as a red widget
    - POP email accounts were configured correctly! :D
    - Most if not all apps that required root, asked for root again upon first use.
    - I was not signed into Pandora after the restore...not a big deal, just noteworthy
    - Ringtones and volume (media volume for example) were corrected to my presets that I had specified previously
    - Opened 'Home Run Battle' and verified that my high score was showing...it was :)

***Issues***
    -Only issue I had was with Facebook. I'm sure this is due to the fact that I changed/moved the original Facebook app. I could not re-install facebook from the market cause it said it was already installed. I performed a search but I could not find the .apk file anywhere. I have not explored this any further but I'm sure it can be resolved easily.

Total time to restore to this point - approx 15 min

Hope that helps! :)

-