1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Saved music not showing up in "storage"

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by apologetickid, Dec 21, 2011.

1. apologetickid

apologetickid Newbie

So I have saved a lot (about 20GB) of music locally on my device via Google Music. But when I open the settings menu and click on "storage," it doesn't show me as having any music stored on my device. Any idea why this is?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert

Its the way google music stores songs. It assigns each file a unique numerical filename as opposed to just storing the whole file as is. So if you upload Aerosmith -Walk This Way.mp3 Google stores it as 8972998.mp3 and transfers it to your phone as such. Also, it is stored in a cache file. If you want to find your music, grab a file manager and go to sdcard/Android/data/com.google.android.music/cache and you'll see all your mp3's listed there as a bunch of files like 1539.mp3

UNFORTUNATELY, this prevents you from using any 3rd party music players as none of the track information is visible. This is a big complaint from people.

Personally, I just use the google music app. Its fine for me and the convenience is worth it. I store all my music online with google and just select the 20-30 songs I am in the mood for this week to be "available offline". Then I set the player to show offline music only.

3. streetfish

streetfish Well-Known Member

its shows up under 'Apps' storage when you pin via google music. dont know why

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews