• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Saving Android

Hi All,

Im new to the forum and havent actually got an android handset yet (waiting for my upgrade in 3 months). I really like what Android has to offer me as a new user, although I was ust wondering....

Where or can you save your Android downloads/apps? Can you save them in Google? or do you just create a folder on your desktop to save files from your phone? I was just wondering if a phone was ever damaged or broken, could you have back up files to download striaght away to a new handset?

Like Iphone/Symbian based phones they also have their own music store, was also wondering if Android have anything like this existing or up and coming?

Any Comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

All the apps you buy are added to your google account which you register on the new phone.

You can back up files by saving the .apk(app installation files) anywhere and then transferring to an SD card and installing them from there.

You can also use the (free) app Astro File manager to backup to the SD card(also, a lot of other awesome things though you did not specifically ask about those)

ASTRO File Manager - Cyrket

There are no dedicated music stores for Android, however this is actually an advantage as you can use any service you desire to buy music.

For example, if you choose Amazon mp3, you can buy the music and then just drag & drop copies to your mobile phone, or you could use the stores app Amazon MP3 - Cyrket.

Reactions: Sheldonmeson
Upvote 0
Or you could just stream music for free with pandora or any other music streaming app.. altough i use amazon mp3 whenever i feel like buying a song, its pretty simple and you dont have to connect you phone to the pc... as per the apps, paid apps are linked to your google account (as other said) and free apps, well since they are free, you can alway donwload them any time you one, or if your prefere it, you could back up all your apps with any backup application, ive been an android user for a year an a half, and ive never needed to do a back up of my apps.:D

Upvote 0
Like Iphone/Symbian based phones they also have their own music store, was also wondering if Android have anything like this existing or up and coming?
In addition to what was mentioned above you can sync iTunes with your Droid as well (as long as music is in a supported format and free of DRM). You'd need something like iTune Agent, DoubleTwist, etc though.

That's the great thing -- you have choices, as someone else already mentioned.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones