1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Saving apps to sd card?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by xraychick01, May 22, 2011.

1. xraychick01

xraychick01 Member

I am going to be getting an SD card for my a500. When I download apps from the market, how do I make sure they get saved to the card??

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. PeteDee

PeteDee Well-Known Member

Make sure you get a micro SD card. They will get saved to internal, once they are installed though you can move some to SD card.

Pete

3. gabeyong

gabeyong Android Enthusiast

Hi,

You can't move any apps to SD card... [Not Honeycomb 3.01]

4. xraychick01

xraychick01 Member

So we can't save any apps to SD??

5. gabeyong

gabeyong Android Enthusiast

Hi,

All apps are stored in the internal memory (either 16GB or 32GB).

The external SD Card slot takes a micro SD card (up to 32GB) you can store all your eBooks, documents, movies, music, pictures whatever.

If that's not enough you can get a 64GB thumb drive for the USB slot.
    If you root your device then the sky's the limit... you can use any number of external hard drives.

cheers :)

xraychick01 likes this.
  6. PeteDee

PeteDee Well-Known Member

Bugger, looks like I was remembering my Galaxy S with 2.2....... :eek:

Cheers.

Pete

7. andy d

andy d Android Enthusiast

Can you move apps now we have 3.1 or is it still not possible.

8. Jerm13

Jerm13 Member

Just out of curiosity, what reason would there to be to move apps to the SD card on this thing?

As an owner of an OG Droid with 256 MB of app space that holds *most* of what I need, I find it hard to believe anyone finds the 16 GB constraining.

Surely you could move media (pic, music, movie) files to the SD card first if that is what's eating up the space?

9. Benjie

Benjie Android Enthusiast

Honeycomb does not support running apps from the external card; you can though install apps from an external card. I download and then physically move to the external card using ESFile.

10. splatoid

splatoid Android Enthusiast

But there is a way to store the app on the card for future use. So you don't have rely on the market to reinstall it. I no not the same as running from the card just thought i would throw that out there.

11. bazsh

bazsh Newbie

Hmm why do u need to move apps to SD card for A500 in the 1st place
    I think the space is more than enough..at least for me

12. splatoid

For me I like to keep all my apps and music and and backups for my system cause I install new Roms every few days and to do that you need to wipe cache files and system files and That way I have everything to reload on my card.But not everybody likes to tweak their stuff like I do either. But I'm just trying to show you how everybody uses there tablets
    differently is all..

13. microcomputer

microcomputer Lurker

Where on the internal SD card is the apps you installed kept (folder name), do you copy the entire folder and paste it to the external SD card? Like you said if you install new ROM everything gets wiped out. Also after installing new ROM do you just copy folder and paste it back into internal SD card?

14. splatoid

I keep all my apps in a folder and all the rom's I like on the external card. I also keep all my music and movies I'm currently watching on external. I transfer apps and such to the internal download folder and transfer the most of the time.
    I have been using Dropbox and uploading all my apps and games up to the web and I have a shortcut on my Droid either my Phone or Tablet and I just download them when I need them.
    Its handier that way. Dropbox Gives you 2 Gig's of space and is easy to use.
    Here is a link if you want to use it.:cool:
    http://db.tt/MQYe24n

microcomputer likes this.