1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Saving attachments from Gmail?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DaveSyd, Aug 27, 2011.

1. DaveSyd

DaveSyd Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Australia
    Perhaps I am missing something, but I am finding things missing in Gmail app? I am reading an email, and it has an attachment that I would like to save on the SD card for later reference when I do not have net access. I can't find a way to do that on the SGS2??!! It has a preview button the attachment which opens the file but no obvious way to copy the attachment elsewhere? Has someone managed to achieve this?

DaveSyd

Advertisement

2. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

yeah i think thats a missing feature in the gmail app. however, if u install astro file manager, this adds an option to ur gmail app which allows u to download attachments via astro file manager. it still uses the preview button, but once u press it, u'll be given the astro option and u can save to sd card. havent used it in a while though, so im not 100% sure, give it a try

EDIT: in astro, go to settings/preferences/enable browser download and ignore the warning (i think the warning is for the gmail site, not the app, coz it works fine with the app)

3. Blue1k

Blue1k Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 1, 2009
    Teacher/Web Design
    Cloverdale, BC
    Blackmoon Attach Save works too

DaveSyd likes this.
  4. DaveSyd

None

Jul 19, 2011
    Australia
    Thanks guys... after looking at the apps you have mentioned I see there is a whole cottage industry of apps creating just to fill this gap!! I thought it was a no brainer that it was already buried in Gmail somewhere but I was missing it. Thanks for your help

5. DaveSyd

None

Jul 19, 2011
    Australia
    This has now been added by the standard GMail app for anyone reading/searching later. Not sure which update it cam in but now there are 2 buttons on attachments one "Preview" ie. View. The other is "Download" which saves the file in \sdcard\downloads. From there you can pick it up and move it where you like. Problem solved....

6. thunderfan

thunderfan Newbie
    None

Apr 12, 2011
    Where is this "preview" or "view" button? It doesn't show on mine.