• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Saving music

Philiprr

Lurker
Feb 15, 2018
Hey, I apologize if this has been asked before, but is it possible to save my entire Apple Music playlist to my PC? I will be switching from iPhone to Pixel 2 (hopefully) tomorrow and like many others, I have a massive playlist thanks to Apple Music. I don't think I can download it all to my phone seeing how this is a 16GB phone.

I hope to be able to save all my music, and then transfer it all to my new phone, which will be an Android phone and hopefully the Pixel 2.

If by playlist, you mean your library? Yes, but with some explanation. Anything that's mp3 or mp4 will be no problem, just copy them over. I'm pretty sure the Pixel 2 can play m4a files natively, too, but you might need to use a different media player. If you've got a collection that has files that go back to the DRM era, then you may have to re-download drm-free versions or export them as mp4's. Either way you can do this in iTunes.

Now, if you mean playlists, then I'd say not to bother. It's much easier just to set them up again from scratch than to try and export/import them from iTunes to Android.

Upvote 0
If by playlist, you mean your library? Yes, but with some explanation. Anything that's mp3 or mp4 will be no problem, just copy them over. I'm pretty sure the Pixel 2 can play m4a files natively, too, but you might need to use a different media player. If you've got a collection that has files that go back to the DRM era, then you may have to re-download drm-free versions or export them as mp4's. Either way you can do this in iTunes.

Now, if you mean playlists, then I'd say not to bother. It's much easier just to set them up again from scratch than to try and export/import them from iTunes to Android.

Awesome and thank you.

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Upvote 0
@lunatic59 Back to the DRM era? Is that no longer a thing?
You really should go out more. That hasn't been a thing (for Apple) since 2009.

It used to be when you bought a song on iTunes you could only have it on 5 devices at any given time and it had to be placed there through iTunes. Since 2009 you can freely copy the media, but it either must be a player that can handle Apple's m4a encoding or you have to export it to a lesser codec like mp3.

Upvote 0
You really should go out more. That hasn't been a thing (for Apple) since 2009.

It used to be when you bought a song on iTunes you could only have it on 5 devices at any given time and it had to be placed there through iTunes. Since 2009 you can freely copy the media, but it either must be a player that can handle Apple's m4a encoding or you have to export it to a lesser codec like mp3.
Which is EXACTLY why I begun my dislike (OK, hate) of Apple! Someone gave me an iPod back in the day as a gift and I bought a lot of songs/albums even though I immediately hated iTunes itself. Then '09 came along and I got a OG Motorola Droid. Much to my (uncontrolled) chagrin my tunes were stuck in iTunes. Back in the dark ages it was no easy feat to get them out but I manged. That was it, Apple was not for me ever again and I am still bitter. :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones