1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Saving Webpage to Home Screen

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Lightsmith, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Lightsmith

Lightsmith Lurker

I've noticed this recently for some webpages.
    When I go to "Add to home page" in Chrome on my android it ends up downloading the app for the website. Is there a way to fix this. I try to save a specific page but since it downloads the app instead it doesn't actually save the page.

A website as an example is Real Clear Politics. I tap the menu, Add to Home Screen. It shows like it is going to add the page with the title etc (although I can't edit it) then it says adding RCP. Which is the app. I don't remember this being the case in the past. Is there a setting to fix this? (also the option to add to home screen is no longer an option for that page until the app is uninstalled, it is replaced with the name of the app RCP) For another page it seems to add the website to the home screen but then when using that short cut it doesn't treat it like its opening in Chrome, i.e. address bar, bookmark, etc are all missing.

Samsung Galaxy S10+
    Android version 10.
    Kernel 4.14.117

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Uninstall and reinstall chrome

3. Lightsmith

Lightsmith Lurker

I don't have that option. Only "Disable"

4. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

You are probably much better off saving your websites as bookmarks in your browser.

You will run out of space on your homescreen quickly, otherwise.

And you can bet that if you are using Chrome and there is an app on the Play Store for the page you want to save- Bam! Downloads the app instead.

Go figure, right?

So, either save your sites as bookmarks, or just use a different browser.
    I use Lightning, from F-Droid, and I have never had that issue.
    And Lightning has unlimited bookmarks and tabs.