• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Saying goodbye to my beloved MXPE

I am kind of still waiting for someone to tell me what the best deal on it is. I saw $222 a few days ago but I can't find it. Also I don't know when they offer 'With Lockscreen Offers & Ads' if I can remove those after I purchase the phone.

Only Amazon Prime versions have lock screen ads, avoid them, you can suppress the ads a bit but every update brings them back and the Bootloader is NOT unlockable. I would suggest only buying from Best Buy, Newegg, B&H Photo, Amazon (retail no ad edition), Target, or other major retailer in your area (Micro Center, Frye's, etc).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am kind of still waiting for someone to tell me what the best deal on it is. I saw $222 a few days ago but I can't find it. Also I don't know when they offer "With Lockscreen Offers & Ads" if I can remove those after I purchase the phone.

The only issue for me with the G5 Plus is I would miss the active display that I have come a custom to.

Check Costco, I think I saw it on sale there last week, Like I think $209 and that was with a 32 SD Card with it.

https://www.costco.com/Moto-G5-Plus-Unlocked.product.100360682.html

When you login it gives you the final price.

Member Only Item

Online Price 219.99 $

Less 10.00 $ -
Your Price 209.99$
$10 OFF

$10 manufacturer's savings** is valid 11/10/17 through 11/16/17. While supplies last. Limit 5 per member.

Shipping & Handling Included*

Features:
  • Fingerprint Reader
  • High-Grade Aluminum Design
  • Octa-core Processor

Upvote 0
I am kind of still waiting for someone to tell me what the best deal on it is. I saw $222 a few days ago but I can't find it. Also I don't know when they offer "With Lockscreen Offers & Ads" if I can remove those after I purchase the phone.

Yes you can. I believe after a year you can buy your way out of the ads for a price, or you can review any number of YouTube videos that'll walk your through manipulating software to remove them. The best bet however is to just pony up the extra amount and avoid the lockscreen ads all together by buying from some other merchant (or making darn sure if you're buying from Amazon you're not buying the version with the ads...)

Upvote 0
Yes you can. I believe after a year you can buy your way out of the ads for a price, or you can review any number of YouTube videos that'll walk your through manipulating software to remove them. The best bet however is to just pony up the extra amount and avoid the lockscreen ads all together by buying from some other merchant (or making darn sure if you're buying from Amazon you're not buying the version with the ads...)
You can buy your way out of the ads at anytime... some long time Prime members have been able to call and complain enough to get them to comp the ad removal or do it at a reduced rate but I haven't heard a successful story about that in some time.

At any time you can just log into your Amazon account, go to your profile and devices and select your device and remove ads, pay the fee, and within a few minutes the ads are gone. Note that this does not allow the bootloader to be unlocked, that can never be done on a Prime version (meaning no TWRP, root, or custom ROMs).

Upvote 0
OK. I am totally chickening out here.
Lol. I am a big coward. BUT, fellow MXPE user Jfalls63, has reported that a new battery has drastically improved his SoT, as well as holding a charge for over 12 hours. That has really been my ONLY ongoing complaint about the MXPE. (other than occasional software problems , usually caused by automatic updates to Android)
I think I am going to hold on to this baby a while longer, and what's the worst that could happen? A better batch of phones will come out soon anyway, and with my new battery the resale value on my MXPE will still remain relatively good when I go to buy another phone.
And sine I am the buyer I want the specs of my next phone to actually be better, than this one.
A few specs that dropped in quality were

- The camera (MXPE has 21 MP, following models have 12 or 16 at best and sometimes not even that)
- Screen size: MXPE has a 5.7 display. Later models backpedaled to smaller displays
- MXPE moto voice: Customizable voice trigger phrase and commands. Total hands-free operation. Later models , No.
- Sleek premium feel and design, custom colors and name embossing. Later editions don't measure up.

If I didn't know better I'd think that Lenovo was purposely lowering the standards so they could release some junk later on. Later releases are supposed to be an improvement, not a setback. The only improvement I can see, is more RAM, and later versions of android.
Comments welcomed and invited.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones