1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root SBF not an option...now what?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by thehulk20, Jun 14, 2011.

1. thehulk20

thehulk20 Member
    None

Dec 4, 2010
    N'awlins
    i have received my notification that my phone is ready for the recent update. i'm rooted (z4), apex 1.4, bootstrap, titanium backup, and a whole host of other goodies.

i did my homework and read as many posts about how to do the update and still be able to root my X. i was ready, but, ran into a problem:

i do not have the tools (cd burn) to do an SBF. i do have maderstock and have used it in the past with no problems.

from what i have read, in order to upgrade i need to SBF. also, i read that maderstock will not work in order to get the upgrade. is this true?

i want to upgrade, but i want root as well.

Advertisement

2. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    if you have a windows pc you can sbf.

SBFing just requires the program that you download from the net, the moto drivers that you download from moto, and the full 2.3.340 sbf file found here as well.

it takes 10 minutes for the sbf to be done, and an additional 5-10 to follow the rest of the steps.

3. sic0048

sic0048 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 22, 2010
    Here is a very good guide on how to SBF your phone and includes all the files you need including the Motorola drivers and RSD program. Just make sure that you choose the 4th SBF file - the Android 2.2.1 System Version 2.3.340 Full (VRZ_MB810_2.3.34_1FF_01).

Just follow the directions as layed out. You should probably read them once or twice before starting just to make sure you understand the steps before trying them on your phone. Also, heed the warning about charging your phone completely before starting this process. It can be taxing on the battery and the phone will not charge itself when it is plugged in during this process. If something does go wrong, you might have to make several attempts at the SBF process and you want to make sure your battery can last long enough for several attempts.

Don't worry, it is almost impossible to totally brick your phone. Even if it bootloops you can generally fix it by either doing step g,h and i, or if that doesn't work then start over. Again, make sure you choose the correct SBF file however. This seems to be the biggest issue most people have - they choose the wrong file and end up bootlooping and have to start over with the correct file.

Once you load up the clean version of 2.3.34, you need to root using Z4, install the Droid2 Bootstrap program (alternatively you can still use the DroidX Bootstrap program if you turn USB debugging OFF), and follow these instructions. Specifically you want to follow the two part process in the section labeled Patched update.zip (not signed)

4. cjcross22

cjcross22 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    You COULD restore a nandroid, but it has to be one from when you just first rooted .340 and nothing else.

Some people have problems doing this and end up having to SBF after all.

However I was in your current situation, restored a known clean backup of .340, then installed the update zips to get to GB. I have not had one problem using this method, but some people tend to mess it up.