1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support scalding hot and the battery 100% discharged while plugged into charger?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by chosos, Nov 7, 2011.

1. chosos

chosos Lurker
    None

Oct 24, 2011
    woke up this morning and my phone was scalding hot and the battery 100% discharged while plugged into my wall charger.

I thought my whole phone was smoked. I removed the battery let it all cool off and then put the battery back in / plugged the charger back in and its charging now.

Anyone else have this happen? I didn't have anything running on it. The phone was almost too hot to touch. This really concerns me as it being a fire hazard.

Advertisement

2. Citizen Coyote

Citizen Coyote Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 12, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Uh, that doesn't sound good. I'd take it in to a Sprint repair facility and have them test it. Your phone might have a defective charging port. Also, bring the charger you used with you as the problem might lie there.

3. chosos

chosos Lurker
    None

Oct 24, 2011
    it seems to be working perfectly now. if the wireless lost sync, would it superheat the phone trying o find a new signal? what else would cause massive heat?

it charged up 100% and the battery health says its good.

4. drexappeal

drexappeal Android Expert

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    Entertainment Industry
    West LA, CA
    Even if it seems fine now, that still doesn't sound right to me. As Citizen Coyote said, I wouldn't even chance it and still bring it into Sprint to describe what happened.

Before you do that, are you using the OEM Motorola charger or a different manufacturer? I've heard of this type of thing happening when people use micro-usb chargers that aren't OEM. Granted, I've never personally experienced it using non-OEM chargers, but I have heard of similar instances where it happened in that type of scenario (e.g. rapid chargers that just weren't built to work well with certain phones).

5. chosos

chosos Lurker
    None

Oct 24, 2011
    I was using a samsung charger that i used to use for my old Palm Treo Pro. Never had the issue before.. and I havent had it since. I think the issue is a combination of things... apps running in the background eating up battery - the wifi losing synch and trying to reconnect all night, and then the phone was trying to charge, but couldn't.

like i said... it seems fine now. i'm not taking it to the sprint corporate store to waste 2 hours of my life for a problem they will be clueless about, and then i'll probably end up with an extra scratch, too. its just not worth it. if it dies within a year, i'll RMA it.

6. drexappeal

drexappeal Android Expert

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    Entertainment Industry
    West LA, CA
    No worries. Yeah, I haven't had any issues with most non-Motorola chargers, but in this case I would've tried to get another battery out of it, but that's just me I guess.