• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Scam Call Warning - UK

CDPlant

Android Expert
Feb 9, 2011
Essex, UK
I thought I would give out a warning to people in the UK about some scam calling that is going around, and I would hate for this to happen to more people. Unfortunately it happened to me today :(

There is a specific number that has been calling people. They will call for a few seconds then it will hang up. If you decide to call the number back, it will place you on hold and an automated message (in an American accent) will start -

"You have been placed in a queue. Your call is valuable to us, please hold the line. You are 4th in the queue"

I was a little suspicious by this point so I hung up and googled the number. It returned with many forum threads about this very same number and said that they are charging premium rate when you call back. (I have no idea how much it cost me at this point, and I probably won't find out until my bill arrives.)

The number in question is -

07520 905002

So, if you get a call from this number, don't call it back! Hopefully they aren't charging ridiculous rates for calling but you can never be too careful ;)

As a side, if you are worried about this happening at any time (from any number) then you network can block all premium rate numbers if you call them up and ask. Working for a telecoms company myself, I hear about this all the time and it's such a shame that people get conned like this :(

Thanks for reading!

Don't call ANYTHING that is silent if you don't know the caller. Also for anyone asking your details, if you're associated with them already they'll know it. It's phishing & all they need is a few (large) pieces of the jigsaw.

If pushy sales persons keep on at you just walk away from the phone while still on call, make a cup of tea or something. They're paying for the call.
moto_defy (swype)

Upvote 0
I don't think that number is premium rate. The 07*** numbering range in the UK is for mobile phones and personal numbers. However if they keep you hanging in a queue, it can cost you. Premium rate numbers start with 09*** and are regulated by PhonepayPlus(formerly ICSTIS) with the approval of OFCOM. There's also shared revenue 087* at up to 50p min.

When I was in the UK, I used to get few scam phone calls from the US, always telling me I'd won a holiday. They'd always ask me for my phone number before starting with their spiel, never gave them my number of course.

I sometimes get odd calls here as well every few days, rings for a couple of seconds then stops. It's always from non-local mobile numbers. Never ring them back though. But I think I know why it happens.

Upvote 0
I don't think that number is premium rate. The 07*** numbering range in the UK is for mobile phones and personal numbers. However if they keep you hanging in a queue, it can cost you. Premium rate numbers start with 09*** and are regulated by PhonepayPlus(formerly ICSTIS) with the approval of OFCOM. There's also shared revenue 087* at up to 50p min.

They are routing it to a premium rate number (somewhere in the world, not necessarily the UK) from the mobile number that called. I imagine the mobile number is outgoing only, and when you call it just forwards it to another number.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the heads up! I've received calls like that, too. These telemarketers use an auto-dialer to make computer-generated calls to several random phone numbers simultaneously. When you answer, the call is automatically transferred to a live representative. But when you take long to answer and there's nobody to assist your call, you either get placed on hold or you hear a beeping sound and then get disconnected from their system. However, since you are on their call list, you will getting calls from them again.

Upvote 0
And I agree with you about not calling back. There are companies located outside US and if you call, you may be charged without your knowledge. I've read a lot of complaints about that at Report Phone Number to CallerCenter.com and what's unfortunate about the situation is that the charge is valid and definitely non-refundable.

This is why I do not entertain anonymous calls anymore. Anyway, if it's important, the caller can leave a message. I got voicemail.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones