• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SCAM WARNING: The "clean ESN" myth and why you shouldn't buy a used phone.

However, be aware I asked him, "if i buy 10 used phones from 10 different people, and you tell me the MEID's are "clean", 12 months later all ten of those could be deactivated for the prior owner's being on a "bad" list and I would have no recourse?"

The answer: "Yes". :eek:

I haven't had a problem so far, but I was basically told the same thing when specifically asked about a phone being reported lost/stolen after a sale. The bad ESN list is checked only at the time of activation. So if you buy a used phone and activate it during the sale, the seller can immediately afterwards report the phone lost/stolen, and you will never know unless you deactivate and attempt to reactivate the phone.

It's a poor system to say the least, but Verizon has no incentive to change it, as anything they do to make the used phone market safer only cuts into sales of new phones.

Upvote 0
It was a while ago this was brought up, but it is worth mentioning. I know some people said that prefer to buy the phone in person when they are found off craigslist or wherever, but this could end even worse. Always realize you have no idea who you are dealing with a could end up with a empty box, or, even worse, robbed. Just be mindful, find a safe, populated place, and check everything out first.

Upvote 0
It was a while ago this was brought up, but it is worth mentioning. I know some people said that prefer to buy the phone in person when they are found off craigslist or wherever, but this could end even worse. Always realize you have no idea who you are dealing with a could end up with a empty box, or, even worse, robbed. Just be mindful, find a safe, populated place, and check everything out first.

I guess this is the price some people are willing to pay to save a few bucks. My suggestion is to meet at a Verizon store so you can activate the phone while the seller is still there, but if the seller is in another city or state, well, it's a gamble some are willing to take.

Upvote 0
Hey guys

Ok so here is my story. Back in the fall of 2011 i was up for renewal and got a droid razr. I was on the holiday return policy and decided to get a Nexus. After dealing with the nexus this long and going through the hassles of camera, battery, blutooth,reception and reboots, im done. This is not a problem of the individual phone, its just the product. So now verizon is sending me a new Nexus since they wont give me back the razr. So i would like to do a clean swap for a razr via craiglist or some other local way.

My biggest worry is getting scammed. I want to make sure im getting a "clean" and non stolen device. What would be the easiest way to go about getting the esn, clearing it with verizon and making sure everything is cool? Is it as easy as swapping out sim cards and running the esn to make sure its clean? Or is it more involved on verizon's end?

Upvote 0
Hey redraptor,

I would suggest doing the exchange in person at a VZW store so they can verify for you the ESN is clean at the time of exchange...I have seen reports of phones being black listed after the swap and they can't be reactivated if disconnected so that would be one potential risk you might have to deal with down the road...I don't think it happens often and if you can clear it with VZW before the deal you should be in the clear...I have a droid 2 global I purchased used and never had any issue with it

Upvote 0
Hey redraptor,

I would suggest doing the exchange in person at a VZW store so they can verify for you the ESN is clean at the time of exchange...I have seen reports of phones being black listed after the swap and they can't be reactivated if disconnected so that would be one potential risk you might have to deal with down the road...I don't think it happens often and if you can clear it with VZW before the deal you should be in the clear...I have a droid 2 global I purchased used and never had any issue with it

Alright, so hypothetically speaking, If I get a response from someone on the classifies section on this site(And they are to far to meet in person), I should ask for the ESN and call Verizon to verify its clean. If it is clean, then I just go through the swap and everything should be fine, correct? Im not super savvy with online transactions other than Amazon or other retailers. How would a swap normally work via mail? We send at the same time? I send mine first then he sends his when he gets mine? Vice Versa?

Sorry Im just making sure I have all my bases covered so Im not without a phone :)

Upvote 0
Well I bought my D2G from someone on AF...I would suggest seeing if they have any references where they have sold stuff before...make sure the ESN is clean...you may need to ask for it in private ;)...check with VZW and everything...if it is an exchange you sending the gnex and they sending the razr then I would think it should be safe but it is always good to check first and if they have references on other sites that is even better ;)

Good luck :D

Upvote 0
Well I bought my D2G from someone on AF...I would suggest seeing if they have any references where they have sold stuff before...make sure the ESN is clean...you may need to ask for it in private ;)...check with VZW and everything...if it is an exchange you sending the gnex and they sending the razr then I would think it should be safe but it is always good to check first and if they have references on other sites that is even better ;)

Good luck :D

Yeah that makes sense. I put up a classified...*Crosses fingers*

Upvote 0
I bought a phone off of Craigslist myself but I stated that I wanted to meet up with him in a Verizon Store and activated the phone right there on the spot in the store while the guy sat in a waiting area. No money had exchanged hands yet. I told him I wanted to activate the phone first before money was to be exchanged.

I had a friend with me during the whole deal that was going down. What made the deal interesting is that my friend also just happened to be a licensed concealed weapon carrying person and he had his gun on him.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones