1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Scanner linked to my website?

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by kaufy1987, Apr 24, 2012.

1. kaufy1987

kaufy1987 Lurker

hello everyone

i was wondering if you could help me out with a certain app function. my ideas are more complex than my skills lend me to be able to do. id like to know if you can give me some direction on the bar code scanner. when someone scans a product (upc code) i'd like the app to launch my website and show the person the price of the product they just scanned. basically they would be doing a simple search for that upc code on my website. simple but probably very complicated to program? i appreciate any help you can give me. thank you!:)

2. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique

kaufy1987 likes this.
  3. kaufy1987

kaufy1987 Lurker

Thank you for replying! Well shopsavy is a bunch of businesses in one database (i think). I would like to program the scanner to go directly to my site for the UPC search.

4. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert

So you want the app to scan the picture and read the UPC... from there it will open a web browser with something like this from google:

inurl:YOURSITEHERE "UPC-############" ?

That might .... help?
    :vroam:

kaufy1987 likes this.
  5. Stigy

Stigy Some say...

Also try passing parameters through your site. I built something similar for my senior design project and used index.php?UPC=######

And then the UPC parameter I passed through the address was used to filter a table on the website. You can launch the barcode scanning app with simple code and then it returns the UPC to your app, which can then call an intent of a URL with the parameter passed to it.

Passing variables in PHP 5 in the URL

kaufy1987 likes this.
  6. Stigy

Stigy Some say...

BTW moving this to Application Development section - might get better results there.

kaufy1987 likes this.
  7. kaufy1987

kaufy1987 Lurker

thanks for all the responses guys! if you have any other ideas please share them. this noob could use the direction. :)