1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Scanners won't read my phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Wellis1025, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Wellis1025

Wellis1025 Lurker

I have an issue that just started. I purchase e-gift cards a lot from my phone. Done it for years. The scanner scans the barcode or QR code and all is well...until 2 days ago.
    Today, a QR code wouldn't scan. I figured maybe my screen was dirty-cleaned it. Adjusted brightness. Nope. It The merchant's scanner just didn't seem to recognize it.
    I figured, it was a bad scanner.

So, I go to load money into my bank and the way I do that immediately through the app, is it will generate a barcode.

I went to the local drug store (that I use all the time) and the self scanner didn't detect the barcode. I then had the cashier try. Same thing that happened with the QR code.

I rebooted the phone. No luck. Any suggestions? I use this EXTENSIVELY and if scanners (and and otherwise) can't read my phone, is my only option to finally upgrade?

2. Best Answer:
    Post #8 by Unforgiven, Jan 22, 2021 (3 points)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

3. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

It's most likely not your phone but I'm curious as to the app you speak of that may be the culprit.

4. Wellis1025

Wellis1025 Lurker

2 different apps. First one is Ibotta. It is where you can add coupons, buy gift cards get cash back.

The second one is Stash. It's a microinvesting app that has a bank side where you get stock back for purchases on their debit card.

5. Dannydet

Can you send the bar code / qr code to a different device and see if it works?

6. Wellis1025

Wellis1025 Lurker

I can send the Ibotta one...and it did scan (QR code). I can't figure out what would cause it. Screen has been cleaned. No luck.

7. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

ok it could be just a one off thing. i have seen many phones for one reason or another not work when trying to scan a barcode off of the phone. it may also depend on the scanner the cashier uses. they can be just as bad at not scanning those barcodes.

#6 ocnbrze, Jan 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    Dannydet likes this.
  8. Dannydet

What if you uninstall the apps, then reinstall them?

ocnbrze likes this.
  9. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

I've had issues where the under counter scanners won't read the screen while the handheld ones will. Also, I've had dark mode or blue filter mess it up. Check that you haven't inadvertently turned one of these on.

ocnbrze and Dannydet like this.
  10. Wellis1025

Wellis1025 Lurker

I think the "dark mode" thing was the issue. I took that off both apps and it worked!!!

Unforgiven and Dannydet like this.
  11. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Quite frankly that sounds like a problem that the app's developer should fix ASAP.
    I have dark mode turned on with my Huawei, and most days scanners are scanning codes from my phone, like for Wechat or Alipay payments at shops or public transport, and never have any problem.

12. Wellis1025

Wellis1025 Lurker

Agreed. It seems Ibotta has already. I didn't see any reports in their forums BUT it is working there now in dark mode. Stash, the other app, I opened a ticket.

Dannydet likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus release date was March 2018. Features and Specs include a 6.2" screen, 12MP camera, 6GB storage, Exynos 9810 processor, and 3500mAh battery.

March 2018
Release Date
Reviews