• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

scary alien's apps

Root Toolkit for Android

Guys,

Just updated the app with the following changes:

[version 1.7 - 20-August-2012]:

- directly test root access instead of inferring from state of root binaries

- more Samsung Galaxy Nexus features:

..* lock, unlock, or display status of the bootloader (currently only for PRIMELA03 and PRIMELC03 bootloaders)

..* support toroplus (Sprint CDMA) stock 4.0.4 recovery (not official)

..* support maguro (International GSM/HSPA) 4.1.1 stock yakju / takju recoveries

- remove option to save a newer version of the su binary

- various other minor tweaks

Enjoy! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Root Toolkit for Android

[version 2.2 - 05-February-2013]:

- support display of system property values (all devices)

- added support for more stock and custom recoveries (GNex and N7 only)

- support for Nexus 7 3G (tilapia) recoveries

- lots of miscellaneous minor changes and improvements

Last edited:
Reactions: Caveman419
Upvote 0
AFV Android File Verifier

v2.1 just uploaded to the Play Store. Here's the change log for the most recent versions:

[version 2.1 - 24-Feb-2013]:
- support auto-verification of MD5 checksum in *.tar.md5 files (thanks for Mike D. for this excellent suggestion)
- better recognize .md5 file entries formatted by other md5sum utilities (i.e., other than busybox md5sum applet)

[version 2.0 - 18-Jul-2012]:
- support Nandroid backup verification for Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) custom recoveries
- moved two checksum comparison options to the main screen from the menu
- several other minor tweaks and enhancements

[version 1.9 - 26-Jun-2012]:
- minor update to fix crash when non-.md5 file is selected for a Nandroid verification

[version 1.9 - 23-Jun-2012 Android 2.3 and up]:
- support .md5 files w/spaces in file names in 'Verify Nandroid Backup' and 'md5sum -c Type Check' functions

[version 1.8 - 21-Jan-2012 Android 2.3 and up]:
- better display support for tablets and other phone screen densities
- can now also invoke Verify Nandroid Backup function by long-pressing Nandroid backup directory name
- support orientation changes (previous orientation locks have been removed)
- display full information in landscape mode just is done in portrait mode

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Root Toolkit for Android

Most recent and prior change logs:

[version 2.5 - 03-August-2013]:

*** Please Note *** This app's save / restore root features will unfortunately NOT allow you to successfully re-gain root after an install
of an Android OTA (over-the-air) update of 4.3 or higher :(

- support stock 4.3.0 recoveries for Samsung Galaxy Nexus (maguro takju/yakju), Nexus 7 (2012 grouper/tilapia)

- support newest custom recoveries for Samsung Galaxy Nexus (all), Nexus 7 (2012 grouper/tilapia)

- added ACCESS_SUPERUSER permission to support interaction with SuperSU

[version 2.4 - 30-March-2013]:

- support stock 4.2.2 recoveries for VZW (toro) Samsung Galaxy Nexus

[version 2.3 - 14-February-2013]:

- support stock 4.2.2 recoveries for Samsung Galaxy Nexus (maguro - takju/yakju) and Asus Nexus 7 (grouper & tilapia)

Thanks and let me know if you have any questions!

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
Thanks for updating it 3 days after I needed to update to TWRP 2.6.0.0:p

Seriously, great tool.

LOL, I actually updated it on Saturday evening :p...

Thought about / remembered to update this thread just today (took me 20 minutes to find it, LOL--scary glares and unforgiven :mad: :p ;) :D :)).

Thanks for the kind words--been a while since I've had time to play with my apps--felt good to get back in the groove a bit :).

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
Root Toolkit for Android

New version just published...thanks!

[version 2.6 - 08-December-2013]:

- support save root for 4.3+ devices (credit/thanks to Pau Oliva (poliva) and Chainfire)

- fix FC caused in some devices that return weird (non-standard) Android version information

- 2012 N7 only: support 4.3 (jwr66y) and 4.4 (krt16s) stock recoveries

- Samsung Galaxy Nexus only: support recent stock recoveries for international and Sprint versions

- address transitory mount behaviour that apparently started in Android 4.2 and up

- display warnings for keeping a pre-4.3 saved root present before installing a 4.4+ OTA

- lots of other minor tweaks, cleanups, and enhancements​

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Root Toolkit for Android

New version just published / upload the the Google Play Store (might take a bit before it actually shows up for folks):

[version 2.7 - 12-January-2014]:

- support LG Nexus 5 (hammerhead) for special recovery options (flash / identify stock and custom recoveries)

- 2012 Nexus 7 (grouper/tilapia): support 4.4 stock recoveries

- other minor fixes (including one recent FC), tweaks and enhancements​

Cheers and thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
[version 2.0 - 5-May-2014]:

- major app update: edify parsing, RPN processing and execution engine completely re-written

- original core app behavior and functionality remain the same, but code cleanup and re-write should mean better and more robust handling of future OTA updater-script expressions

Just uploaded to the Play Store...will probably take a couple of hours before it shows up.

Lemme know if you have questions.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Root Toolkit for Android

New version (3.1) just published (takes a bit before it appears in Play Store, though).

Recent change log entries:

[version 3.1 - 02-June-2014]:

- support stock 4.4.3 recoveries for N5 (hammerhead) & 2012 N7 (grouper/tilapia)

- add more timeouts to shell / su invocations (to address ANRs)

- several minor fixes

-----------

[version 3.0 - 08-February-2014]:

- fix null pointer exception issue

-----------

[version 2.9 - 28-January-2014]:

- minor fixes/updates

-----------

[version 2.8 - 15-January-2014]:

- fix issue w/normal reboot on the 1st gen Nexus 7 (big thanks to Chris W. for the heads-up re. this)

- revert/fix remount behavior to older logic that worked better for older devices​

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OTA Verifier

Got my 4.4.3 OTA for my N5 and found a couple of tweaks I needed to make in my app.

Here's the recent change log entries:

[version 2.3 - 10-June-2014]:

- fix issue w/apply_patch_check tests on read/access-protected files and partitions (for those with root access, of course)

[version 2.2 - 11-May-2014]:

- support scanning (rooted devices only) ext2/3/4 /system filesystems for immutable files that might cause OTA failures when executing set_perm_recursive or set_metadata_recursive on /system

- minor fix re. w/count of non-existent files

[version 2.1 - 6-May-2014]:

- fix issue w/identification of non-existent files​

Hope this is useful!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Root Toolkit for Android

Change log for the newest version just uploaded:

[version 3.3 - 13-July-2014]:

- update app icon

- add function to calculate MD5 or SHA1 checksum on a selected file (navigate to selected file, long-press filename, select desired action)

- fix / enhance handling of symlinked files in file selector

(don't forget, you can set/select which functions/options you see via Preferences/Settings menu option)​

Cheers!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's been going on for years - our forum and others continue to receive hundreds of requests every day from new and experienced Android users led into confusion over their device storage, with questions like these:

• I have a 32 GB SD card, why can't I install all of the apps I want? It keeps telling me I'm out of space!
  • I have a 4 GB phone, I don't have that many apps, but it says I'm out of space again. WHY?
  • I have an 8 GB tablet and I can't make heads or tails out of what's up! I've looked at my settings and it says I have all sorts of storage! What the heck is up here?
  • And the follow-on questions - Is it broken? Did I get ripped off?

Sound familiar?

I bet it does, it's probably hit all of us at some point - and is still hitting people every day.

The truth is that apps telling you about your storage fall into one of two categories:

• Apps trying to be too friendly in helping you, designed really to tell you about your media storage
  • Apps that bury the real information inside screens and popups that try to tell you everything about your phone
The problem is simple:

• The first type of app is not telling you the right story
  • By the time you understand the second type, you already know the answers
  • The deck is stacked against you, it's a complicated mess
For the last few years, I've been advising people to get under the hood and gave out step-by-step Linux commands.

But that was not always effective:

• Scary for a lot of people
  • Complicated
  • Difficult to read
  • Information overload

So, I sat down and designed an app to tell you once and for all the truth about your storage, using the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth by doing a probe of the Linux under the hood in your Android device.

In no time flat, I decided that it needed to be an absolutely simple, beautiful, and understandable way to get you the information you need.

And I know better than to take on everything by myself when I'm surrounded by a community of experts.

So, I called on my friend, @scary alien, and asked for his help - and he came through in a big way! (So big I insisted that he call it his, but he insisted that I take credit - or blame? - along with him, lol. :D)

The results are shockingly simple and we call it Storage Truth.

• EASY to understand!
  • Instructions about what is going on with your storage spelled out right at the top!
  • Focused to just give the facts that you care about for your app storage and how big your system is!
  • Evaluated by Google to support over 8000 possible devices, and not work on ZERO of them!
  • Requires no special permissions - at all!
  • Contains no ads, trackers, lookers, peepers, pop-ups, notifications or anything else you don't want!
  • Just the truth - the Storage Truth!

1425256306388.jpg

Get it in the Play Store -

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=sa.storagetruth

Did I mention that it automatically copies the info to your clipboard?

You can share it in the forums without a screen shot! Just use the quote tool on your mobile browser, choose the CODE tags, and copy the infomation in!
Code:
Storage Truth

Your actual operating system also uses other storage areas, not shown, for your radio hardware and other secure functions. All app information is stored under /data, and apps you add or update are installed to /data/app. Simulated internal and actual external SD cards are not shown.

/system:

size:      2641M
     used:      1481M
     free:      1160M

/data:

size:     25532M
     used:     15050M
     free:     10482M

Device Info:

Android: 4.4.2
   Device:  htc_m8whl
   Model:   831C
   Maker:   HTC

Upvote 0
Published version 4.3 of Root Toolkit for Android this weekend.

Lots of work and testing went into this version...I hope you guys like it! :)

Cheers!

Full change log:

[version 4.3 - 06-June-2015]:

- support various recent 5.x.x stock recoveries for Nexus 5, Nexus 7 (1st & 2nd gen), Nexus 9

- rename 'Freeze/Thaw/Uninstall Application' function to 'Application Options/Functions'

- add 'Thaw & Launch' option to Application Options/Functions

- add option to display package name in application list

- better handling for non-rooted devices

- re-order several functions on main screen

- add 'Re-test Device Root Status' function

- minor bug fix to handle rare/inconsistent null pointer exception two users have reported

- other miscellaneous tweaks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones