• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Schedule airplane mode?

ericsbcn

Sep 16, 2010
I just upgraded from a Droid RAZR HD Maxx to an S7. One question I have: on the Droid, I could set a "Sleep" SmartAction, which would turn airplane mode on and off at certain times. I had it set to turn on at 11 PM and off again at 7 AM. Is there anything similar on the S7?

I found that you can schedule a "Do not disturb" mode, which turns off rings and alerts, but that's not really what I want. I want airplane mode, so that it turns off all the radios at night when I'm not using the phone, to conserve battery.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
- Eric S.

Do Not Disturb doesn't require the device to be rooted. It's in the settings of my S7 Edge. I have mine on a schedule so that my phone is silent every night from midnight till 6am. It can also be manually operated whilst not affecting the schedule. My only complaint about it is that it doesn't allow multiple schedules. It will also allow exceptions for nominated apps or callers.

Upvote 0
I think the O.P. Was after a way to schedule flight mode - turning off things like Bluetooth & Wifi. Do not disturb just silences the ringers & sounds. I have not found a way to do that yet.

I use an app called 'Silent Time', you can schedule multiple silences and have a number of routines running. It is easy to turn different routines on & off individually or have exceptions programmed in.

Don't know if that helps.

Upvote 0
Do Not Disturb doesn't require the device to be rooted. It's in the settings of my S7 Edge. I have mine on a schedule so that my phone is silent every night from midnight till 6am. It can also be manually operated whilst not affecting the schedule. My only complaint about it is that it doesn't allow multiple schedules. It will also allow exceptions for nominated apps or callers.

As I said: "Do not disturb" mode is not really what I want. I want airplane mode, so that it turns off all the radios at night when I'm not using the phone, to conserve battery.

Upvote 0
I didn't try Tasker. But earlier response in this thread says that Tasker requires root for it also.

I'm beginning to think that any app is going to need root to change airplane mode setting. I was kind of hoping there'd be something built in to the S7. But I guess not.

I briefly looked on Tasker and it said it was a Secure Settings and Rooted device task.

I wonder if you could use Tasker and do a poor man's airplane mode. Disable data, wifi, etc. Not sure of a way to disable the cell radios, but not sure how much battery that saves anyway.

Upvote 0
I tried the free version of AutomateIt. I figured if it looked like it did what I wanted, I would buy the Pro version. But it doesn't seem to.

I does turn on and off the Wifi. It has an action for turning off mobile data and bluetooth, but they did not work (probably need root?). It did not have an action to turn off cell phone.

Are you sure the Pro version it turns off everything, including the cell phone? Are you rooted?

Thanks.
- Eric S.

Upvote 0
I just upgraded from a Droid RAZR HD Maxx to an S7. One question I have: on the Droid, I could set a "Sleep" SmartAction, which would turn airplane mode on and off at certain times. I had it set to turn on at 11 PM and off again at 7 AM. Is there anything similar on the S7?

I found that you can schedule a "Do not disturb" mode, which turns off rings and alerts, but that's not really what I want. I want airplane mode, so that it turns off all the radios at night when I'm not using the phone, to conserve battery.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
- Eric S.

YES! you can schedule airplane mode without root.
You will need 3 apps : tasker + Frep + Secure settings.
I uploaded this video to show the method: If you have questions let me know !

Upvote 0
Interesting. Seems a little complicated, but makes sense. A couple of questions before I try it:

- For the automation part, I assume I can use Macrodroid or AutomateIt or similar?
- What if you have a screen lock password, will it still work to unlock the screen?

Thanks.
- Eric S.

I have only tested Tasker, since Frep & secure settings have plugins inside tasker
If Frep & secure settings have plugins for Macdroid or Automateit, then yes it should work

For the pin or password, you have 2 options:
1- You simulate them in the recording sessions (you have to remember the location of each button to ensure you are recording the right pin)
2- Or You use a feature called : Keyguard inside the secure settings. You will program it to disable the pin @ certain time and re-enable the pin at another time.

Personally I see option 1 is more simple given that you don't change your pin often.

Finally if you found the video is helpful, please give thumb up!
Note: any app you purchase from Google play, you can uninstall & refund it within 2 hours without giving reasons.

Upvote 0
This would be tremendously helpful for me to know how to schedule airplane mode for work, as I am not allowed to have my phone on while performing my duties at work by law. But you know how it is with phones these days, it's hard to keep track of when to turn it on and off and I just forget sometimes. This would be an awesome thing to have to be able to schedule airplane mode on at certain times of day. I'm trying Tasker right now. Llama wasn't working correctly; I found it very buggy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones