• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Scratch resisitent glass?

I'm looking to upgrade my HTC One S to the Z3 compact (holding out hope that T-mobile will carry it). There seems to be a lot of confusion as to what glass is on the Z3 compact. I've had my HTC for 2 years and never used a screen protector. There are microscopic scratches that can only be seen with the screen off and when held at an angle in bright light. With the screen on, the screen looks pristine. Is this what I can expect from the Z3 compact, or is it susceptable to severe scratches?

Thanks for the reply xpavar. I read quite a few comments about how the Z1 compact was prone to scratches. I guess a more appropriate question would have been to try and get a consensus on what people's definition of scratches is. When people talk of scratches, is it the severe kind that can be seen at just a glance from a few feet away? Or do most people have a zero tolerance policy and they are talking about the microscopic scratches that can only be seen in bright light at an angle.
Would love to hear your impressions of the device now that you have one in hand. How is the reception compared to your old phones? Ironically, one thing they don't cover in many reviews is a phones ability to pull in a phone signal.

Upvote 0
For your consideration, if you haven't seen this yet.
forum.xda-developers.com/z3-compact/general/glass-cracking-t2899480

There is no doubt this phone is fairly easy to damage, with the glass back etc. I don't think I'd look at it cross-eyed without the phone being in a case and having a screen protector on it. I'm careful with my devices, so I'm not too concerned.
As far as the reception is concerned, the phone seems fine to me.(realize that I just switched over to T-mobile from Verizon).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones