1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Scratched my nexus

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Ciggy, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Ciggy

Ciggy Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 26, 2010
    Scratched the top area of my phone pretty deep. I did it with a metal zipper on my jackets media pocket. Very disappointed my $80 htc eris first droid was scratch proof. Guess i need a screen protector that will interfere with the gorgeous display.

I abused the hell out of the eris and never scratched the screen once just the phones plastic.

Advertisement

2. tarponbeach

tarponbeach Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 3, 2009
    That really sucks. I'm wondering if it is the oleophobic coating that these screens have, that is being scratched so easily? The glass itself is supposed to be pretty tough.

3. AJ McKay

AJ McKay Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 18, 2010
    I was jackassing around in my garage on New Years playing beer pong and mine took a tumble. I didn't notice until the next day that I've got a couple pretty good pits in it now. Granted, I doubt anyone would see them, but I know exactly where to find them.

4. Ciggy

Ciggy Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 26, 2010
    Cant believe they couldnt include a scratch proof screen on this phone. One time i took a knife to my Eris screen to prove it was scratch proof and there wasnt even a smudge.

I dont like screen covers and probably still wont get one so i need to solve the dilemma of squeezing it into my media pocket passed the zipper. I need some type of case that covers the front but can be removed since i only wear that jacket snowboarding.

5. Trooper

Trooper Android Expert
    None

Apr 11, 2010
    You definitely need a screen protector with this phone. It scratches easy contrary to popular belief.

6. jse2480

jse2480 Member
    None

Dec 18, 2011
    Albany, NY
    I said the same thing. I had my D1 for two years and didn't get one scratch on the thing. I had the nexus for like 2 days and ended up with a ~1" scratch right down the center of the screen. No idea how it could have happened. Once you notice that scratch, you can't unsee it. I'd recommend a screen protector ;-)

7. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    I went ahead and installed a zagg invisible shield on mine. Just got too nervous having a naked phone. I do have a ding on my battery cover, but thankfully they are cheap.

8. Ciggy

Ciggy Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 26, 2010
    having scratches on any of the plastic doesnt bother me. And the only reason i dont think the screen protector will help is because the zipper scratched the glass deep enough it's going to destroy a protector first time in and out of my pocket.

Wish they made a thin pouch for this phone. That would solve my problem.

Or a silicone case that can be turned around to cover the screen when i want.

9. binary visions

binary visions Android Expert
    None

May 14, 2010
    This just goes to show how COMPLETELY misunderstood the "scratchproof" concept is.

Glass is hard stuff. Fortified glass is even harder. However:

No glass is scratch proof.

and

Just because you didn't scratch another phone, doesn't mean the glass was any better.

I won't reiterate what I've already said on the subject. You can read it in these posts:
    http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus/447060-scratch-test.html#post3498052

http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...ing-not-so-scratch-resistant.html#post3687788

Anecdotes are not relevant here. A million people had some phone they claimed was soooo tough because they abused it and it never scratched. A million other people had that same phone and it got scratched the first time they put it in their pocket. There are lots of variables, and no consistency between these stories.

The knife test was not relevant unless you know the specific hardness of your knife metal.

stpbby, Crashumbc and eyc like this.
  10. jse2480

jse2480 Member
    None

Dec 18, 2011
    Albany, NY
    I don't want to turn this into a screen protector discussion, but I ordered an XO skin, and before i showed up, i ws nervous i'd scratch the screen again so i just put on a just put on one I got from VZW. They gave me the anti-glare one which was TERRIBLE, then I replaced it with the clear one from VZW and it's actually not too bad if you're looking for some "disposable" ones to just try out.

stpbby and Ciggy like this.
  11. DroidR

DroidR Lurker
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    If you have a scratch on the original glass, you might be able to cover it with an XOskin, some have recommended Seido. Be sure to really clean the glass thoroughly before installation to make sure you get all the dust and skin oil out of the scratch. Use the blow drier heat method sparingly several times over the first two-three days after installation and wet a microfibre cloth with the solution that comes with the Xoskin, buff it while warm with the cloth rather than use the plastic card that comes with it - just use the card the first minute of installing the Xoskin.

12. edge

edge Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 9, 2010
  13. Ciggy

Ciggy Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 26, 2010
    thanks a lot guys about to order XO I obviously need something. Just wish this expensive ass phone was as tough as my first droid.

14. BubbaNexus

BubbaNexus Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 13, 2011

tried the xo skin, and took it off. made the screen grainy and affected touch sensitivity. even after a week of "curing".

i know have the steinheil oleophobic screen protector-much better. crystal clear and no interference with touch.

15. redraptor

redraptor Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 6, 2010
    "Fish dude" at PetSmart, Best Buy Mobile Sales Ass
    Much too far from the waves
    Whats with HTC phones having that horrible smudginess? My inc 2 had it and it annoyed the crap out of me. Everytime I touched the screen is got smudgy. I never had that problem with my Razr or Fascinate. Is it like that on the Nexus. Does it have something to do with the lack of gorilla glass?

16. jkc120

jkc120 Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    Senior Software Engineer
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    The Nexus screen does not have that problem. It has an oleophobic coating (anti-oil basically) to ward off the oil.

I have the Rezound and it does get smudgy very easily, but I was used to it on my dinc. I do miss that about the Nexus though!

17. edge

edge Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 9, 2010
    No problem. Maybe the new Gorilla glass will be scratch proof. I dont see how it can move up the moh scale much, but one can hope. I have been using XO Skins for years and haven't ever had an issue. Just take your time installing and allow it to cure all the way. Sometime you see some cloudiness but that goes away after a day or so and it looks crystal clear.

18. binary visions

binary visions Android Expert
    None

May 14, 2010
    Speculating, but I bet it won't get much, if any, harder. I'm guessing the update to the glass is going to be almost entirely around improving the usability of the glass, rather than actually improving the glass itself (e.g. better/more form factors, or improvements to the touchscreen integration, or making it cheaper).

19. edge

edge Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 9, 2010
    I fear you are probably right

20. edge

edge Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 9, 2010
  21. jfbaro

jfbaro Member
    None