1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Screen black, Back and Apps buttons lit

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Buela, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Buela

Buela Lurker
    None

Oct 29, 2017
    If the Back and Apps buttons will light while the screen is totally dark (even though the phone is otherwise working), can that still be a hardware problem that could be solved with a screen replacement? If it CAN'T be a hardware problem if those buttons are working, then that narrows down what I need to try/do.

My screen is randomly blank - sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes for a few hours. When I press the Power or Home buttons, the Back and Recent Apps buttons will light up, but nothing else happens. Soft resets (removing the battery for a while then replacing) have no effect. It will sometimes give me a quick glimpse of a screen then go black again, or will give me just visual noise and go black. It behaves to me as if it's a hardware problem, but it's also more common in the mornings when it's fully charged (which I'm reading could be an app problem) so I'm just not sure.

Thanks for the help!
    Leslie

Advertisement

2. philayl

philayl Android Expert

Jun 25, 2010
    Male
    Wirral, Merseyside, England
    Hi, sorry to hear hear of your problem, it sounds to me like you might have to do a factory reset to determine if the problem is hardware or software related, it's a pain I know but I think finding an app that might be causing it will be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Phil

3. PitCarver

PitCarver Android Expert

Jul 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    South Carolina
    Looks like I'm not the only one with this exact problem.

How long has your phone been doing this, Leslie? I'm thinking that it's something in an update...mine has been working great, for over 2 1/2 years then about 4-5 weeks ago it happened the first time. Last couple of days it's almost all the time.

Samsung Galaxy S5

The Samsung Galaxy S5 was announced in 2014 and was the company's first flagship of the year. The device featured a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a 16MP primary rear camera.