1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Screen black wont turn on or off or charge

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by David Hollick, Apr 21, 2020.

1. David Hollick

David Hollick Lurker

Screen sudden went black. Wont indicate charging or reboot.
    Help please

Dannydet likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

That's very little to go on. But assuming that the phone does actually boot (i.e. it's not that the phone is turned off and won't power on) the fact that you don't even get a splash screen on a restart suggests hardware failure rather than software (since the splash screen is before the Android software starts to load). Have you tried booting into recovery or download mode? If the screen remains black there as well then I'll be pretty sure it's hardware (which could be anything from a connector becoming disconnected or being damaged, by a previous drop or water exposure, or a component wearing out).

If the phone won't respond at all, e.g. you try to restart it and it makes no sounds, doesn't respond if you try to phone it, it doesn't connect to WiFi, no indicator lights come on, then it's a different problem. That could be anything from a battery failure (the phone always runs off the battery, even when plugged in, so if the battery fails the phone cannot power up) to a motherboard failure (which frankly would mean time for a new phone).

ocnbrze and David Hollick like this.
  3. David Hollick

David Hollick Lurker

4. David Hollick

David Hollick Lurker

Thank you for your reply. Abdolutely nothing on screen. On off switch has no effect. Only thing I've done with other phones when had a problem is to remove batery put it back and phone recovered.
    Seems thay getting the back of these phones is big job with heat needed to remove back. Might bugger phone totally if I try this if it isnt already past help.
    There was no indication that the battery was a problem before it shut down. No shops open of course so stuck. Any more suggestions please.Thanks David

ocnbrze likes this.
  5. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Leave it on charge for several hours. The battery in an S7 Edge will be old, and old batteries can behave oddly. If it has shut down due to being empty (which can happen well before the meter reads zero with an old, worn battery) then it will only charge very slowly at first. So if leaving it on charge a long time brings it back that could well be an indication tha the problem is the battery.

Yeah, since the s6 repairability has not been a priority for Samsung - nor for many others, unfortunately. It epitomises everything that's wrong with consumer society really.

ocnbrze likes this.
  6. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

MrJavi likes this.
  7. David Hollick

David Hollick Lurker

8. David Hollick

David Hollick Lurker

Thanks for suggestion. Left on charge fof 24hrs but no joy.
    Where do I go from here other than wait for EE or phone repair shops to reopen?

9. David Hollick

David Hollick Lurker

10. David Hollick

David Hollick Lurker

Thanks for reply .I can fix many things but probably not phones . . Guess I will have to wait until phone repair shops reopen to find out if it is simply a battery problem or as Is suspect something more seriou.

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge release date was March 2016. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Snapdragon 820 processor, and 3600mAh battery.

March 2016
Release Date
Reviews