1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Screen Blackout when recieving calls

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Isaac Clarke, May 1, 2014.

1. Isaac Clarke

Isaac Clarke Newbie
    None

May 10, 2012
    Male
    Hi, I recenly had an update for my phone. I am pretty sure it is the KitKat update, however, I noticed that when I recieve incoming calls at times the screen will be black, and I will have to press the button on the side to turn the screen on so I can swipe to answer the call. Not sure why it is doing this, anyone else have this issue with there phone?

Advertisement

2. RickSchlegel

RickSchlegel Member
    None

Sep 23, 2013
    Male
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'm still running 4.3, and have had this as an intermittent problem almost since I first got the phone last Oct. I can't detect a pattern, or any reason for it --- would love to get it corrected.

3. abarzua21

abarzua21 Lurker
    None

Jun 25, 2012
    On your phone keypad go to settings and uncheck the box that says turn off screen during calls.. Hope that helps

4. johnpjackson

johnpjackson Android Enthusiast

Nov 16, 2013
    Male
    Systems & Networking
    Western Massachusetts
    Unless you installed software that manipulates your proximity sensor, and it's buggy, you most likely are having a problem with lint/dirt having infiltrated the little window area in your phone that the proximity sensor looks out from, which is adjacent to the little windo that the front facing camera looks out from. The only way to fix the problem is to take the phone apart enough to clean out that spot. Yes, you can disable screen turn-off during calls, but that's not a fix for the dirt problem, obviously.

RangerPivot likes this.
  5. sabo2000

sabo2000 Lurker
    None

Apr 30, 2014
    I am also having same issue. Once I got any notification phone hangs.. I am using original Samsung s cover. I really fed up after update to kitkat

6. johnpjackson

Nov 16, 2013
    Male
    Systems & Networking
    Western Massachusetts
    I tried the spray air from a can procedure from every angle I could get in from and couldn't get the problem fixed that way. When I finally resorted to opening the phone up it became clear (pun intended) that no amount of external ministrations would ever have gotten that little port hole clean enough on the inside to fix the problem. Opening it up was the only way to get all that guck out of there. Next time I have to do it I'm going to try and add a little something, somehow, to see if I can seal off the gap between the sensor and the glass, to prevent the issue from ever happening again.

7. behringer

behringer Lurker
    None

Mar 24, 2014
    This issue is a disaster - my phone is a business tool - in this area the phone fails BIG - I

8. johnpjackson

Nov 16, 2013
    Male
    Systems & Networking
    Western Massachusetts

9. johnpjackson

Nov 16, 2013
    Male
    Systems & Networking
    Western Massachusetts
    Just yesterday my proximity sensor stopped working again. I'm sure it's because crud from being in my pocket has once again worked its way into the phone and obscured its view of the world. The next time I take the phone apart to clean it out I'm going to try and insert some type of gasket between the sensor and its little porthole, to see if I can prevent the crud from specifically getting into that spot....

10. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator
    None

Sep 5, 2012
    Male
    Civil Engineer
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Have you thought about just doing a soft reset, remove the battery and restart the device?

Sometimes I find my proximity sensor on the fritz so I just do that and it usually fixes the issue :)

11. johnpjackson

Nov 16, 2013
    Male
    Systems & Networking
    Western Massachusetts
    Actually, guess what?? Your reply moved me to actually take a close look at the sensor's porthole, which I hadn't bothered to do because I thought I already knew what the problem was again. It turns out that this time it was just dust/dirt on the front surface of the phone, over the porthole. The reason it is able to build up there is because the case I have the phone in has a little rubber frame outlining that area. The rubber prevents the phone surface right there from getting wiped clean unless you specifically are going for that spot. I wiped the dirt away and it's all better again :)

12. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator
    None

Sep 5, 2012
    Male
    Civil Engineer
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Glad you got your issue fixed :)

I know that my first screen protector went over the proximity sensor....that was quite a no no, and I learned that pretty quick.

The next ones I bought I made sure to find one that didn't go over this ;)

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 launched in 2012 and was the company's flagship phablet. The device featured a 5.7-inch display with a 1920 x 1080 resolution, 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 13MP main camera.