• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen Blank - How to Wipe Data For Return?

the.ronin

Lurker
Sep 16, 2010
I got a Samsung Galaxy S II HD LTE 4G and the screen has stopped working. To be clear, the glass didn't shatter or break, it is just black and no longer comes on. The phone is functioning as I can feel the vibration when I unlock and turn the volume all the way down.

The seller has agreed to a refund once I have returned it. However, I don't know how to wipe the data clean. Is there a way to do this via USB?

Or should I really be concerned as I am keeping my own sim card and SD card. The phone will have no sim card and no SD when I return it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Are you rooted?

Did you have the phone set up already with all your apps? Did you use any apps in that timeframe which would contain sensitive data? Or did you just insert the sim and sdcard and shortly after, the screen failed?
Yes, the phone was rooted. I had entered my gmail, facebook, and linkedin account information. I did download a number of apps from cameras to gps to games. I did have a banking app but never got around to using it or entering personal information. I did use the phone for a couple of weeks before the screen shut down.

I take it that personal data may remain on the phone itself even without the sim or sd card?

Without the screen (i.e., to activate USB in the drawer pull down), can I still use androidscreencast?

Thanks again for any advice.

Upvote 0
If it's still rooted and you have a custom recovery, have you tried to enter recovery? Could it be that recovery screen would still display? I only ask because I've seen instances where display drivers were borked on a BOOTED phone due to a bad flash of some sort but the screen might still work in recovery. If so, you can wipe data/cache in that fashion.

Also, since you are rooted, did you also have usb debugging enabled? If so, and if you have the sdk installed and know how to use adb then plug in your phone, enter a shell and wipe data per bold commands.

adb shell
If you don't get a #, then...su. If already #, then...
wipe data

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones