• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen Brightness. Pinkish effect

larbac

May 24, 2010
Hi all,
I could not find any other post on this matter under the HTC desire threads therefore posting a new topic.

I got a HTC Desire last week and I was aware and have been reading reviews about the pinkish screen when it comes to grey scales and notice when you access htc.com or you gmail email application (more notice when messages are marked as read)

Furthermore I have been comparing my phone with my friends and I have notice a different behaviour. If you go to Setup, Colours, set the brightness to the low value avail then you will notice that in some phone the screen will turn purple...

Please view the attach video for better example.

My phone does that and I know another guy phone that does the same.. but I also have seen 4 Desires which do not have the problem. Inclusive the one on the video...

This seems to be a common "problem" with the Desire. Some screens seem to be slightly more pink/purple than others, but all seem to do this to some extent.

The effect is only noticeable on white and certain greys and, for most people, it is not even something that they really notice.

However, I took my phone back to the shop (also because it had a dead pixel) and mine did seem slightly more pink than the demo unit they had.

It does seem that the screen is not capable of displaying true white, although to be honest, I don't know whether this would be good as reading text on a totally brilliant bright white background can be a little difficult/.

Personally I think people that say they experience no tint at all are simply not as sensitive to colours.

Maybe try a few units in store and see how they compare to yours. If there is a big difference maybe ask for a swap... if not I'd just say its the way the hardware works.

Upvote 0
This seems to be a common "problem" with the Desire. Some screens seem to be slightly more pink/purple than others, but all seem to do this to some extent.

The effect is only noticeable on white and certain greys and, for most people, it is not even something that they really notice.

However, I took my phone back to the shop (also because it had a dead pixel) and mine did seem slightly more pink than the demo unit they had.

It does seem that the screen is not capable of displaying true white, although to be honest, I don't know whether this would be good as reading text on a totally brilliant bright white background can be a little difficult/.

Personally I think people that say they experience no tint at all are simply not as sensitive to colours.

Maybe try a few units in store and see how they compare to yours. If there is a big difference maybe ask for a swap... if not I'd just say its the way the hardware works.

You went for a swap on your Desire, so you tried the "new" one before hand on the shop? Any better this new one you have?

Upvote 0
I manage to get my phone replaced. Pink effect on Gmail and HTC.com is still present, even if less.
The Pink screen when dimmed brightness is still there but alot less. At least I can not notice when the phone goes into power safe.

Now, HTC anwser has changed and they say this is a normal behaviour as ou can confirm on Why my AMOLED has pinkish tint (Answer inside) - UPDATED - Page 51 - xda-developers post #506

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones