• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help screen brightness setting

sniper8752

Jun 30, 2010
so i've noticed that my screen brightness on automatic is low. i did some research online, and found a post that mentioned that you can move the slider up, then select automatic, and it increases the auto brightness by that much. is this true? would this fix the issue?

so i've noticed that my screen brightness on automatic is low. i did some research online, and found a post that mentioned that you can move the slider up, then select automatic, and it increases the auto brightness by that much. is this true? would this fix the issue?

In the time that it took you to write your post, you could have tested it 20 times over, to prove that it does indeed work! ;)

Upvote 0
In the time that it took you to write your post, you could have tested it 20 times over, to prove that it does indeed work! ;)

Hmm. I have tried this and what I find is that when I set the brightness slider to where I want it, then check the box, the brightness dims. It doesn't matter which version of Android (4.2.2 or 4.3) I've used, the result has been the same. That makes me think the autobrightness control either does not work as you suggest, or mine is somehow broken.

Ideally, it would work as you suggest. I'm not sure why mine doesn't appear to work like that.

Upvote 0
It doesn't work like that on mine (custom rom Android 4.4.2) and it doesn't work like that on my boyfriends (stock, unrooted, Android 4.4). On either phone when you set it up high and then tap auto, it goes back down to what I think is 10%.

I think what it goes back down to would depend on the lighting conditions of where you are at the time, right? Isn't that the point of automatic screen brightness?

Upvote 0
Yes, it is. But what I would like to see is that I manually adjust the brightness to a level I like, then hit the auto button, and within the range of control, expect the phone to maintain that level in varying lighting conditions.

OTOH, the brightness level I like in the day may be too bright for night. But it's all relative, and that's what I'm looking for... is to keep the screen brightness at the same relative level for varying external light conditions.

What I find is that the autobrightness setting is generally too dim for my eyes. So either I live with it or go to manual mode.. which going from dark to light, becomes difficult to find the control. Right now in a bright, daylit room, regardless where I set the manual slider, when I touch the auto button, it dims to the lowest level.

I used Lux for a good while until the 4.3 update broke it. I had some nice custom profiles that worked pretty well for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones