• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen Burn In

NalrahMale

Lurker
Jun 19, 2010
When I charge my Epic via the docking station at night and the battery is fully charged the screen turns on and displays the battery full message. This happens nightly and the screen doesn't power off. I just noticed today that the battery full message has burned into the screen.

I didn't think the screen automatically coming on when the battery was fully charged and staying on all night was a big deal until now. Why in the world would they include that functionality. Before it was annoying, now I have to take the phone back.

I've also already had the screen replaced b/c of dead pixels.

Anyone else experience burn in or dead pixels?

EDIT: I also average about 73% Time without signal after a full day off the charge. Did I get a lemon?

Yeesh, haven't run into that yet.

As far as the time without signal, this one should probably be stickied at this point. Hold the power button down, turn airplane mode on, then do the same thing to turn airplane mode off. That should fix it. A reboot will require you to do it again. But that fix worked for me and many others here.

Upvote 0
I've tried the Airplane mode trick. Doesn't seem to help. I hear the radio going off and then back on multiple times a day. I don't get great signal at my office but this didn't happen with my Evo or Pre. I get great reception at home but the radio goes off and on at least 2-3 times a day.

Burn in is what upsets me though.

Upvote 0
i started a similar thread on this on xda forums. basically, my first phone had signs of burn in after 2 days of use. i exchanged it and the new one has been fine so far, but i'm pretty sure it'll set it soon. the other phones that use this type of screen (nexus one, droid incredible) exhibit this problem also.

Upvote 0
From what I understand only LCD are known to have burn in issue but have never seen a phone do that regardless of what panel it has. Either way...is your brightness set too high maybe?

Brightness set to about 25% to save the battery throughout the day unless that 'Battery Full' message overrides the brightness settings i have. Odd that it comes on and stays on all night.

Upvote 0
Why in the world would they include that functionality.

You don't like having options? Samsung was nice enough to give us the option of having the screen stay on while plugged in, or having it time out and you are upset with Samsung?!?

Check your settings.

Settings---->Applications----->Development------->Stay Awake

The box should be unchecked if you want the screen to go off when charging.

Upvote 0
You don't like having options? Samsung was nice enough to give us the option of having the screen stay on while plugged in, or having it time out and you are upset with Samsung?!?

Relax. My problem is not with having options, or I would have an iPhone. It's when the option causes burn in that I have a problem with the manufacturer.

The option to leave the screen awake when docked is great. In fact I use it as an alarm clock by my bed. But I manually put the phone to sleep before bed so it doesn't light up the room. When the battery full message wakes the phone and stays lit while I'm asleep, how is that an option worth raving about? Especially when it burns into the screen.

Minus the dead pixel, burn in, and 73% time without service i love the phone.

Upvote 0
I got serious burn in after only 14 days. Mostly due to the dock app being on at night. I disabled the always on for the usb charging, didn't matter. If you turn the screen off it will come back on in the middle of the night after it is fully charged. Trying to get a new one now. Hopefully tomorrow, I am already on my second one and outside of the 30 day return policy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones