• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen burn in

Looking at XDA, people are having a bunch of problems with Note 4 screens, too. Some have exchanged 3-4 times already.

Not interested in the Samsung kool-aid, honestly.
LMAO!!! you and me both... Ive had my device for a week and i havent noticed any "burn" of course my display is at about 30 percent tho ... But I LOVE THIS DEVICE!!!

Reactions: TheAmazingDave
Upvote 0
"coming from an S4" says it all. Of course the N6 screen is better than a 2 year old phone. I prefer to compare my tech to the actual current competition.

It's a 1.5 year old phone, basically generation N-1. Comparing it to the Note 4 screen is silly. Samsung is not going to give their high end brand new panels to a competitor OEM. And even if they did, then the N6 price would be $800 instead of $650 and then you'd be complaining that there's a $800 Nexus. Some people just like to complain. :/

And FWIW, I looked right now after having been in meetings all day and I couldn't find the "burn out". I think it's image retention. What would be interesting is to see how long the screen has to be off before it fades and/or whether putting a non-static image (i.e. watching a 5 minute youtube video or something) makes it go away, or if I have to turn the screen off to see it fade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
Update: My Nexus 6 Day 33.
Topic: Screen Burn-In

Upon reading about others claims of screen burn in, I took it very seriously. Over two decades of using high end workstation laptops and my burning desire to continue to stay the course with my continuing education, I'm quite familiar with various display technologies. Burn in is not news to me, with a full understanding of the situations and conditions that can exacerbate it, on Oct 28 I deliberately decided to shelve all my other smartphones and use my Nexus 6 as my only Smartphone each and every day.

The goal was to see if my typical day consisting of six to ten hours of screen on time would cause burn-in on my Nexus 6. Yes, six to ten hours, not a typo, not exaggerated, just a fact. I am a very heavy business centric, highly mobile smartphone user.

I find this Nexus 6 so ideal for me, there's no way I'm going to send it back or sell it based on Internet based reports. It's why I buy almost every new flagship Android that's of any interest to me. The only evaluation that matters to me is based on the phone that's in my hands for a minimum of a months use.

Thus far I am happy to report that a very critical, close, magnified inspection under a high intensity light in the engineering lab at work reveals absolutely no burn-in, even viewed from the most extreme angles.

What does this mean? That my phone and my phone only, shows no signs of burn-in after approximate two hundred sixty hours at 75% brightness is looking like new.

Respectfully to those claiming burn-in, I'm _Not_ disputing your claims. I'm not diminishing your concerns or the possibility / probably that there is a problem.

My report is just that, my report on one phone only.

Good luck to all... :)

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'd say the burn in is official. Maybe not widespread, but official. I haven't had this phone for a week yet and am a moderate user but definitely have the lower bar and icons lightly burned in. Only noticeable when on the clock/alarm screen, but it is there. It is not retention. I powered down my phone for fifteen minutes and left it on various static colors using RGBW.

All I can wonder now is if it burned in this quick, how will it look after a month or two?

Reactions: electricpete
Upvote 0
Yeah, I'd say the burn in is official. Maybe not widespread, but official. I haven't had this phone for a week yet and am a moderate user but definitely have the lower bar and icons lightly burned in. Only noticeable when on the clock/alarm screen, but it is there. It is not retention. I powered down my phone for fifteen minutes and left it on various static colors using RGBW.

All I can wonder now is if it burned in this quick, how will it look after a month or two?
Apparently you've been drinking the Samsung Kool aid.

Upvote 0
So instead of playing cow pie tag, wouldn't it be better for everyone if we could figure out what's going on? Why some people see the burn-in after a very short period of time and other's after extreme use, do not ... and everything in between.

Is it patterns of use? Settings? Bad batch of screens? Demonic possession?

Let's try this ... Phone in hand 2 weeks, moderate use, unlocked but not rooted, AT&T branded, screen at ~60% brightness with a darkish wallpaper. No burn-in seen.

Upvote 0
Phone in hand five days.

Moderate user.

Sprint version, unlocked, not rooted.

30‰ brightness, mildly dark wallpaper.

Burn in of the notification bar, but not the symbols, and the lower bar with symbols lightly seen on clock/alarm screen and with dark grey and purple wallpapers.

No "Samsung kool-aid". Even my fiancé, who said I was being a paranoid pain in the ass, sees it. She asked what the little triangle is.

Upvote 0
For all those claiming how inferior the Nexus 6 screen tech is compared to the Note 4, because Samsung doesnt make its latest screen tech available to other manufacturers, might want to check this out. The reality is, the nexus display is on par with the Note 4. In several of these photos, I disagree with the reviewer and prefer the Nexus 6 pics. As he says several times, it comes down to "personal preference".

Any way you slice it, the Note4 only has a " slightly" better display, but even that may be subjective. What this means as far as burn in on either device, only time will tell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For those who didn't see my post about three weeks ago, I own both the Note 4 and Nexus 6. My side by side comparison done over and over demonstrates just how close these two are. Those who claim the Nexus 6 has a less than excellent display may not have had the amount of time I've had to compare them in various environments. Under fluorescent lightning in a carriers store is the worst environment. Under more even incandescent lighting it's less reflective and easier to compare. That also holds true in natural day light. Personally I prefer the Nexus by a narrow margin, especially since they're both terrific displays.

Upvote 0
Granted, I have had my AT&T branded, 32GB, locked down, unrooted N6 for all of 3 days now, but so far I am blown away. Screen is B-E-A utiful from all angles. I loved the new Moto-X screen when I saw it and this is just worlds better than that. So much depth, so much color. It's perfect in my estimation. But I am by no means a "power user". I have seen no burn in and I have been on it about 12 hours a day for the first 2 days...

Upvote 0

If that tool helps, then you don't have burn-in in the strictest sense. You have ghosting. That's the retention or memory of power output in adjacent AMOLED cells but can be unlearned. True burn-in is physical damage.

It's like when people ask to un-brick their phones. A truly bricked phone is a goner, or to put it another way ... if a phone is mostly bricked, that means it's slightly not bricked. With all-bricked all you can do is go through their clothes and look for loose change. ;)

Upvote 0
Well, my Nex6 is gone. Turned it in. A Best Buy rep said he's been hearing complaints about burn in and the charger emitting a humming or high pitched noise. He said Google was giving out $25 Play Store credits for the trouble. I got nothing. Maybe that's only if you opt to get it fixed or swap it for another Nex6.

I'm very upset I had to let it go but the peace of mind is nice. My new phone feels real small and cheap now, though.

Upvote 0
Well, my Nex6 is gone. Turned it in. A Best Buy rep said he's been hearing complaints about burn in and the charger emitting a humming or high pitched noise. He said Google was giving out $25 Play Store credits for the trouble. I got nothing. Maybe that's only if you opt to get it fixed or swap it for another Nex6.

I'm very upset I had to let it go but the peace of mind is nice. My new phone feels real small and cheap now, though.
What phone did you end up with??

Upvote 0
I have a G3, it's very nice. No complaints.

The reason I bought the Nexus 6 is that the 6" display is very important for my needs and preferences.

Side by side display comparison reveals there really is a big difference compared to the 5.5" size. 75% of the time I use desktop views of websites on my Nexus 6 and that's where the large display really shines.

So far I've been very fortunate, no bugs no burn in just a terrific spacious yet compact phone. This is exactly what I wanted.

Thanks Google & Motorola! :D

Upvote 0
So I actually ran in to the ghosting issue while doing my random 4-times-a-day spot check. There they were, showing clearly (albeit very faintly) against a dark gray background; the nav bar icons... :(

I immediately fired up a full-screen "burn-in fix" app and let it run for about 15 minutes. Voila, icons gone.

Haven't been back since.

Back to DEFCON2...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones