• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen Capture Apps for non-root

Android 2.3.3 Makes Screen Shots a Root-Free Affair

According to the article above, "ShootMe" did an update to allow devices to screen shot without root.

Phandroid said:
Right now, most screen capture tools are designed for rooted phone, but we reckon it won’t be long until a few show up that run with native 2.3.3 (heck, a recent update to ShootMe accidentally enabled screenshots without root).

Upvote 0
I like picme, which I use on my home wireless to grab a screenshot and save to my computer, w/o having to move the files over later. https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bw.picme&

ss-1-320-480-160-0-111e3bdcbe432d75c58b4f62dd5bbd6837bf1545

Upvote 0
I'm researching on behalf of a friend who's looking for a screen shot app that will work on a non-rooted Droid X. I have ScreenGrab for my Motorola Photon but he says it won't work on his Droid X. I've seen ShootMe referenced but I can't seem to find it in the Market. Does anyone have a link or know of an alternative that will work? Thanks!

Reactions: ownedbyruth
Upvote 0
I've got an HD2 running the Nexus 1 software. I used to be able to use screenshot it, but can't anymore :( I downloaded the app that Sombre posted up a little while ago, but it seems to not have worked. When I try click on "other" then profile, it says "connection to phone cannot be established: No device attached to USB" What did I do wrong? I have my phone set up to allow the USB debugging, or whatever it's called. Any help/info is MUCH appreciated, thanks! :)

Upvote 0
This is infuriatingly frustrating

why can't they make this work natively? I had shootme on Android and I remember when it didn't work at first and then it magically worked after some updates and I still have shootme but it no longer works on my Evo 4G and the app is gone not even on the market anymore.

Now I Have the motorola Razr (and before that I had the samsung charge (crap) and the charge had the ability to take screenshots natively (I didn't know it at the time so I would randomly take screenies :p)

I do not want to have to root why should I? My phone works JUST fine not rooted (other than not being able to take screenshots) I am NOT willing to install a bunch of nonsense drivers that have to be reinstalled each time its restarted anyhow.

WHY is it SO complicated? I'm thinking iPhone is next when my contract expires. If 2.3.3 makes it possible to take screenshots without root, why can't the apps take advantage of it?

So I have a couple of useless screenshot apps I bought for other devices they worked on (cuz they don't now) why am I wasting my money?

I'm not impressed....

Upvote 0
Correction the samsung galaxys have the possibility of screenshot included and samsung galaxy s2 beat any iphone 4, 4s and clean the floor with that little piece of crap, is the best today by far.

ricnar
Ios was the best till two year ago , but sleep and now is copying android (notification bar etc), in ios you cannot change your keyboard, launcher, gallery, music player, etc like in an unrooted android without jailbreaking.

If you have problem for the screen capture without rooting in certain androids, think all the forbidden actions in ios without jailbreak, in android are posibly customize completely without rooting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones