1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Screen Comparisons

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by timetoroot, Jan 10, 2012.

1. timetoroot

timetoroot Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 13, 2011
    Ohio

Advertisement

jbdan likes this.
  2. BlueBiker

BlueBiker Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2010
    Male
    New England
    FAIL. Just as many of the comments indicate, the entire first test is useless because it's not showing the test image at original 1:1 scaling on the devices. Their camera was also out of focus. :eek:

I loaded the 6299x4725 test image on my Rezound and it looked almost as junky as the article's. But when I cropped out a native 1280x720 center image (at 8bit grayscale, same as the original) and displayed it on my Rez it was immaculate as you'd expect -- no visible grain and no moire effect either. Undoubtedly the Nexus would also look much better when fed a native image.

One could try to draw some conclusion about the scaled image quality of Nexus and Rezound, but I'm not sure how valid it would be. And in any case, text drawn on either device would virtually always be rendered at native sizes, so after-the-fact text scaling isn't relevant either.

3. jamisont

jamisont Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 17, 2011
    how does that article FAIL?
    that article wasnt comparing display to display to say which one's better.
    its rather to show how pentile matrix look in actual display. (remember all those diss on HD SAMOLED cuz its in pentile matrix?)

4. ZachMob

ZachMob Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 12, 2011
    It is more likely that Android and the iPhone have different algorithms for scaling images, which is causing distortions for Android phones. It has nothing to do with screen technologies.

I have the same pattern distortions looking at the test image on my computer monitor. I bet it would look different if I had a Mac using the same monitor.

BlueBiker likes this.
  5. BlueBiker

BlueBiker Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2010
    Male
    New England
    But that's not how either the Nexus or the Rezound look in actual display. They showed a 6299x4725 high-contrast grayscale image poorly scaled down onto the device screens, which is nowhere near an accurate representation of what those screens look like.

Try it yourself: Take the original 1.8MB test image and use any paint program to crop out a center section that measures exactly 1280x720 pixels. Make sure it's not scaling or resampling anything. Now show that at full size on a Rezound and it'll look perfect. Show it on a Nexus, and it'll look not quite as sharp but a helluva lot smoother than the photo in the article.

Tags: