1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Screen Cracked. Need New Phone.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by simcha, Aug 13, 2012.

  1. simcha

    simcha Android Enthusiast
    Thread Starter

    Well fellow MoPho fans, I finally managed to shatter my screen. It's usable but there are cracks running like a spider web from the center all the way to the edge of the screen. I had to put plastic wrap on the screen as a cheap screen protector to make sure that the bits and pieces of the screen don't pop out and so I don't cut my fingers when using the phone.

    So, I definitely need a new phone. I have a few items of concern:

    1. My upgrade isn't until 9/1/2012. I wanted to wait until all of the LTE super smart phones were released by the end of the year before upgrading. I may have to keep this cracked phone until my upgrade date though.

    2. I bought it at Best Buy. I purchased the insurance for 2 years so I could conceivably exchange the phone for a refurbished MoPho. But I don't know if I should do that since I would have upgraded within the next few months anyway.

    3. I also bought into the Best Buy Buyback Program. So I could easily get my buyback money to put it toward the new phone. They did tell me that they'll buy the MoPho back in any condition.

    4. Should I get the LTEvo? Are people that thrilled with their LTEvos? My coworker has a OneX on another carrier and he loves it. But I just don't know. I definitely won't buy the GSIII because it's a Samsung. I won't change my mind about that.

    What do I do?


    1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!


  2. kadimi

    kadimi Android Enthusiast

    simcha likes this.
  3. simcha

    simcha Android Enthusiast
    Thread Starter

    I dropped the phone and the screen is shattered. Unfortunately that link isn't working for me. What is a digitizer?

  4. drexappeal

    drexappeal Extreme Android User

    Get the refurbished MoPho! That's what the insurance is for, isn't it? Or does it not cover a cracked screen?

    Get the LTEvo, if you don't want to do that or don't want to wait.
    simcha likes this.
  5. simcha

    simcha Android Enthusiast
    Thread Starter

    Yeah, but... Well, it might be the right thing to do to get a new/refurbished MoPho if they have it. I'll have to go over to BB and weigh my options. I'll let y'all know what I decide. I hate to miss any awesome phone that might come out between now and the end of the year by using my upgrade now. I'm not even sure that Sprint would bump my upgrade up for me because it's not available until 9/1/2012. The thing is that I don't know if I want to go through the hassle of setting up a new (to me) MoPho only to have to turn around and set up a completely new phone in a few months.

    Decisions... Decisions...
  6. drexappeal

    drexappeal Extreme Android User

    The whole point on getting a refurb, isn't necessarily for you to have to go through the entire setup process again. It's a tradable asset for when you decide to upgrade. You get money back for the refurb on a trade-in vs. not being able to get anything for a phone with a cracked screen.

    I wouldn't even bother setting everything up as you had it before while you're waiting (if you think it'd take too much time). Just keep it as stock as possible and have it ready to hard-reset when you do choose the phone you want for upgrade.
    simcha likes this.
  7. KOLIO

    KOLIO Guest

    A refurbished phone is what BB will service the warranty/insurance with. You shouldn't have anything to worry about as for losing an upgrade by utilizing the insurance.
    damewolf13 and simcha like this.
  8. simcha

    simcha Android Enthusiast
    Thread Starter

    Ugh, well that was frustrating. I spent 2.5 hours at BB. I got convinced that using the insurance was the way to go. Well, their system kept crashing. And I got the guy who has only been in the mobile department for one month. Some jerk put a Samsung Conquer replacement phone back in the cabinet that couldn't hold a charge. So he had my service transfered to it before realizing that the phone wouldn't hold a charge. Therefore he had to transfer the service to this LG Marquee. Then he insisted on transferring my contacts which took forever. Then he tried to check in my broken Photon. The system crashed as soon as he finished the process. So he had to do the process from the beginning all over again.

    And it could take over a week to get the Photon back. Then the suggestion is to trade in the refurbished Photon for buyback credit on 8/31/2012 because if I wanted to wait until my rebate is up on 9/1/2012, then I lose 10% on the buyback. So, I'll go one night without a phone. A Friday night at that. Then I go to BB on 9/1/2012 I use my rebate to get an LTEvo. No Sprint won't advance my rebate even one day. Grrrr.
    KOLIO likes this.
  9. floorguy

    floorguy Well-Known Member

    i am telling you......

    samsung seems to have fixed their poo poo...

    this thing is the bomb
    simcha, drexappeal and KOLIO like this.
  10. drexappeal

    drexappeal Extreme Android User

    You don't necessarily need to trade it in once ur eligible. If the photon gets fixed, y would u rush to upgrade?
    simcha likes this.
  11. simcha

    simcha Android Enthusiast
    Thread Starter


    I found out that I'll loose $69 if I wait until on or after 9/1/2012 to exercise my option to trade in the phone through the Buyback Program. Up to 1 year is 40% of the original full purchase price and after 1 year I'm down to 30%. The $69 will go toward a damn Otterbox case. Those suckers are $49!!! But from what everyone is saying they protect the phone best.

    And, I really like the LTEvo. I've been reading around that forum on here and it seems that people are really happy with their purchase. I know I could let go of the $69 and wait until the end of the year. I know the LG is going to be a quad core, etc. But I don't know... I had a Rumor 2 and I really liked it but it wasn't a smart phone.

    The LG Marquee I have now isn't bad at all. Of course I've had it only 15 or so hours. But it is a lender phone at BB and it must have seen abuse. It's holding up nicely. So the build quality isn't bad on LG, it seems.

    I guess I'm being cheap. Of course I could wait and see if the price drops on the LTEvo by the end of the year too. It might go down to Photon pricing ($99 when I picked it up) and if I still want it that would more than make up for the $69 decrease on the buyback.


    I know that everyone seems to be absolutely gaga over their Samsung phones these days. It seems like things have improved over at Samsung. And yet, I can't forget my horrible experience with the Epic 4G. I can't forgive Samsung that easily. And side by side after playing with both the GSIII and the LTEvo, I have to say that I much prefer the LTEvo. The build quality is better and I like the kickstand. And I think that the LTEvo has a better camera. Oh, and the LTEvo has better call quality.

    That was my limited experience with both phones. A work buddy of mine got his GSIII and absolutely loves it. However within a week the screen cracked while in his pocket. He didn't drop the phone at all. He got an exchange and still loves the darn thing.

    I'm very hard on my things. I think that that GSIII wouldn't stand a chance in my pocket. Heck, I just broke a Motorola HX550 headset in my pocket a couple of weeks ago.

    Whatever I get next will have a case and it will have to be somewhat durable on its own to survive my clumsiness.
  12. drexappeal

    drexappeal Extreme Android User

    Did you not sign up for the Phone Freedom program at Best Buy when they had it at the beginning of the year? That would've given you an automatic $50 off for any phone you upgraded to (although, I'm not sure it counts if you buy a phone at full price).

    Anyhow, if you're not going to wait until 9/1, then I'm assuming you're just going to buy the phone at full retail price, correct? You mentioned that you weren't upgrade eligible until then, so I'm a 'bit confused about your situation. The amount that you'd lose from waiting until 9/1 doesn't come anywhere near the amount you'd pay, full price, for the LTEvo.
  13. drexappeal

    drexappeal Extreme Android User

    Pretty sure that the success of the SGS 2 and the Note forced Samsung to step up their game, at least in the support area.

    One of the news articles here was talking about Jelly Bean update being pushed to the SGS 3 by the announcement of the Note 2 at the end of the month. Granted, it didn't specify if that was for the US providers also, but that is rather quick. The more "good" reports I read on Samsung, the more I soften my stance on them.
  14. simcha

    simcha Android Enthusiast
    Thread Starter

    No, I'd go one night without a phone. Friday night. That would make this work. We checked it out in the store.
  15. drexappeal

    drexappeal Extreme Android User

    Ohhhh...I see. But I thought they can't take a phone that is still connected to a plan? That's what a Geek Squad guy had told me before, but I guess he was mistaken and maybe the 1 day can be granted as an exception?

    So, basically, you'd be doing it on 8/31 and then upgrading the next morning.

    I guess you didn't sign up for phone freedom either, so that wouldn't help you, either. Personally, I'd just activate an old phone, in that case. I actually have a couple (non-smartphones) lying around for those types of situations.
  16. simcha

    simcha Android Enthusiast
    Thread Starter

    Yes, you got it. I do have my Rumor 2 still. I could activate it for just that night so long as they don't charge me to activate it in the mean time.

    Well, from what I was told, they can take the phone even if it's connected to a plan. They told me that the phone and the plan are separate. I hope that's the case because if it isn't when they switch me back to my Photon from this Marquee my plan will reset and could be all messed up. As it is I had to reset my darn voicemail, yet again.

    This would be so much more simple if Sprint would just allow me to upgrade one day early. But, I don't think it's possible from what they told me.
  17. drexappeal

    drexappeal Extreme Android User

    To put your rumor 2 back on the line, shouldn't cost anything. I've done it before and they've never charged activation. Just call and tell them your photon isn't functioning right, so you want to use your rumor temporally until photon is fixed. If it were the case that sprint charged activation, you would be dinged for the replacement phone you're using cuz it had to be activated in order for the phone to work on your line.

    It's different when they're trying to fix your phone vs. bringing it in for buy back.

    Might have been mr. ed or someone else that mentioned sprint isn't allowing override for early upgrade anymore.
  18. simcha

    simcha Android Enthusiast
    Thread Starter

    Yeah, actually, I forgot about my credit union discount. With it I don't pay activation fees. :)
  19. drexappeal

    drexappeal Extreme Android User

    Nice. So there u go. Activate the rumor 2 for the one day, then get ur buy back on the mopho, go in the next morning to upgrade to the ltevo. Ur set.
  20. floorguy

    floorguy Well-Known Member

    yes a case for the sg3 is a MUST.....

    i need to track one down.....

    it is slick...slippery....but feels nice in the hand....

    now on to pissing at sprint for the pissy 3g speeds here...

    .20 Mbs is stupid.....and i think i am now going to be a squeaky wheel and get the NV out here sooner rather then later if possible....

    got them to do a ticket for the tower...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

    didnt fix a thing....and this way i can now do a screen shot of my pissy speeds:D:D:D:D:D
  21. floorguy

    floorguy Well-Known Member

  22. simcha

    simcha Android Enthusiast
    Thread Starter

    Here's an update for anyone who is still haunting the Photon Forum...

    I called Best Buy today since I still don't have any word that my phone is fixed. I was just told by Geek Squad that they will give me one of the two new Photons that they have in stock if the phone isn't back by tomorrow. So, I could have a brand new Photon by Friday, or my old one back with a fixed screen.

    I'll let everyone know...

    I'm still planning on picking up the HTC Evo 4G LTE on 9/1 still even if I get a new Photon. I just think it's time and I've already ordered a case and a screen protector for it from Amazon.
    KOLIO likes this.
  23. KOLIO

    KOLIO Guest

    Definitely keep us posted. Some like myself will be haunting this forum for quite some time. :-D
    simcha likes this.
  24. drexappeal

    drexappeal Extreme Android User

    Like Kolio said below, keep us posted. That'd be awesome if you get a new MoPho, although such a shame that a brand new mopho would be traded in with a buy back. If you were in L.A., I'd swap with you for sure!...hahahaha.

    I'll be a diehard MoPho for a long time, or at least until my current MoPho completely crashes. I can't wait to have it as my dedicated music player / international phone because I'll be venturing into "root" world with it for sure.
    simcha likes this.
  25. KOLIO

    KOLIO Guest

    Yeppers, was looking forward to unlocking myself, but, after reading todays quote from MOTOROLA on their TWITTER account, doesn't look like legacy phones will be getting the official unlocking support. Perhaps there'll be enough clues/data from unlocking other newer models that'll lead to a method that doesn't break 4G.

Motorola Photon 4G Forum

The Motorola Photon 4G release date was August 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 2 AP20H processor, and 1700mAh battery.

August 2011
Release Date

Share This Page